Franz Ziegler (engineer)
Life and academic career
After graduating from high school, Franz Ziegler began studying mechanical engineering at the Vienna University of Technology in 1956 , which he graduated with honors in 1961. From 1962 to 1971 he worked as a university assistant to Professor Heinz Parkus at the Institute for Mechanics at the Vienna University of Technology. In 1964 he received his doctorate with distinction as a doctor of technical sciences. 1967/68 he was a Max-Kade Research Fellow at Northwestern University in Evanston. In 1971 he completed his habilitation at the Vienna University of Technology in the subject of "Mechanics" and in 1972 he was appointed full professor and head of the Institute for General Mechanics at the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Vienna University of Technology . He received further appointments in 1971 for a chair for mechanics at the TU Braunschweig and in 1981 for a professorship for mechanics at the TU Munich , both of which he refused. He held several visiting professorships.
Franz Ziegler's scientific field of activity included wave propagation in stochastic media, deterministic and random oscillations of elastic and inelastic structures, thermal stresses, fluid-structure interaction, dynamic plasticity, non-linear structure dynamics, numerical and experimental methods of mechanics , earthquake engineering and geomechanics. Its results are recorded in around 280 scientific publications in the form of books and articles in international scientific journals and in refereed conference proceedings. He wrote the textbook “Technical Mechanics of Solid and Liquid Bodies”, which was published in several editions in German, English and Russian.
Franz Ziegler was co-editor and member of the editorial board of numerous scientific journals. He was General Secretary of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM), President and Vice President of the Society for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM), President of the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibrations (IIAV) and Chairman of the Austrian Society for Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics ( OGE).
- 1966: Karoline and Guido Krafft medals from the Vienna University of Technology
- 1983: Corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- 1996: Honorary doctorate from St. Petersburg State Technical University , Russia
- 1997: External member of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 1997: Pyotr Kapiza Medal of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
- 1997: Golden Ikarus Medal from the University of Crete , Greece
- 1998: Real member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- 1999: Foreign member of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 2002: Honorary Professorship (Professor e. H.) Perm State Technical University , Russia
- 2003: Winner of the "EUROMECH Solid Mechanics Prize" awarded for the first time
- 2004: Elected Member at Large of IUTAM
- Technical mechanics of solid and liquid bodies , 3rd, exp. and updated edition, 564 pages, Springer-Verlag, Vienna: 1998, ISBN 3-211-83193-2
- Mechanics of Solids and Fluids , 2nd ed., Corr. second printing, pp. 845, Springer-Verlag, New York: 1998, ISBN 0-387-94399-4
- Literature by and about Franz Ziegler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Website of the research area for structural mechanics and structural dynamics at the Vienna University of Technology
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian engineer and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 12, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wiener Neustadt|
|DATE OF DEATH||4th January 2016|