Günter P. Fehring (born August 20, 1928 in Stade ; † February 5, 2020 in Lübeck ) was a German medieval and urban archaeologist with research interests in the fields of church archeology , house building and wood construction, everyday culture and ceramics .
Fehring studied architectural and art history, archeology and history at the universities of Erlangen, Marburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Munich, Pisa and Würzburg. In 1957 he graduated with an art history dissertation The Church Buildings of Francesco di Giorgio Martini . From 1960 to 1973 he was first head of the excavations in the Church of St. Dionysius in Esslingen am Neckar , which gave rise to creating a position for a curator for archeology of the Middle Ages in Baden-Württemberg. Investigations in Unterregenbach , Forchtenberg (Wüstung Wülfingen ) and Ulm should be mentioned.
From 1973 until his retirement in 1993 he was director and head of the Office for Prehistory and Protohistory (ground monument preservation) of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck , from 1974 to 1983 at the same time project manager in the Collaborative Research Center 17 at the University of Kiel . In Lübeck, Fehring succeeded, building on the work of his predecessor Werner Neugebauer , to set up an urban archeology that is still considered exemplary in the field. With the Lübeck writings on archeology and cultural history , Fehring created a publication organ of which he was editor from 1978 to 1993.
In 1974 he completed his habilitation in Würzburg with the thesis Unterregenbach. Churches, mansions, settlement areas . Since 1978 he has been professor of archeology in the Middle Ages and modern times at the University of Hamburg . His introduction to the archeology of the Middle Ages , which has now appeared in several new editions and also in an English edition, is well known.
From 1976 to 1991 Fehring was the spokesman for the working group for archeology of the Middle Ages at the German associations for ancient research .
- with Anton Ress : The City of Nuremberg. Brief inventory (= Bavarian Art Monuments, Vol. 10). Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich 1961 (2nd edition edited by Wilhelm Schwemmer. 1977 ISBN 3-422-00550-1 )
- Unterregenbach. Churches, mansion, settlement areas (= research and reports on the arch. Middle Ages Bad.-Württ. 1). Stuttgart 1972.
- Introduction to the archeology of the Middle Ages (Darmstadt 1987); 3rd edition Stuttgart 2000
- with Barbara Scholkmann : The city church of St. Dionysius in Esslingen aN Archeology and Building History , Vol. 1: The archaeological investigations and their results . Stuttgart 1995
- Urban archeology in Germany . Special Archeology in Germany. Stuttgart 1996.
- List of publications in: Archeology of the Middle Ages and Building Research in the Hanseatic Region, Festschrift for Günter P. Fehring , ed. v. M. Glasses, Rostock 1993, pp. 17-26. (until 1993)
- M. Glasses (Hrsg.): Archeology of the Middle Ages and building research in the Hanseatic area, Festschrift for Günter P. Fehring . Rostock 1993.
- Manfred Schneider: Günter P. Fehring (1928-2020) . In: Blickpunkt Archäologie 1/2020, pp. 78–80.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Fehring, Günter P.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German medieval archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stade|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th February 2020|
|Place of death||Lübeck|