From 1970 Streminger studied philosophy and mathematics in Graz , Göttingen , Edinburgh and Oxford . From 1975 to 1997 he worked at the Institute for Philosophy at the University of Graz , where he received his doctorate in 1978 as a doctor of philosophy sub auspiciis Praesidentis rei publicae .
Three years later, Streminger taught as a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis . In 1984 he completed his habilitation in philosophy, and in 1995 he was awarded the title of university professor.
Streminger received several awards: in 1974 a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service and in 1978 from the British Council . In 1991/92 he continued his research at the Ruhr University Bochum as a Humboldt Fellow .
Streminger has made a name for himself as the editor and translator of the works of David Hume . His biographies and commentaries on Hume and Adam Smith are among the standard German-language works. He also published a number of essays on the two Scottish philosophers. His philosophically most important work, God's Goodness and the Evils of the World, deals extensively with the theodicy problem .
- David Hume. An Inquiry into the Principles of Morality. (Translation and edition) Stuttgart: Reclam-Verlag 1984, new edition 2012 with an afterword by Frank Brosow
- David Hume. With testimonials and photo documents. Reinbek: Rowohlt 1986, 2nd exercise. 1992, 3rd ed. 2003, 4th slightly over. 2011 edition
- Adam Smith. With testimonials and photo documents. Reinbek: Rowohlt 1989, 2nd edition 1999
- God's goodness and the evils of the world. The theodicy problem. Tübingen: Mohr 1992, 2nd revised edition 2016 (Italian translation: EffeElle Editori 2006, 2nd edition (shortened), Rome: Aracne 2009)
- David Hume. His life and his work. Paderborn: Schöningh ²1994. - 3rd (throughout & slightly changed) edition: UTB 1995
- David Hume: An Inquiry into the Human Mind. An introductory comment. Stuttgart: UTB 1995
- The natural course of things. Essays on Adam Smith and David Hume. Marburg: Metropolis 1995
- Of the goodness of God and the sufferings of the world. An overview of the theodicy problem. In: Enlightenment and Criticism 1/2003 ( online )
ECCE TERRA , Norderstedt: Books on Demand 2008, ISBN 978-3-8370-4818-6 .
- New edition: ECCE TERRA. To English garden art. Weitra: Provincial Library 2013, ISBN 978-3-99028-243-4 .
- David Hume on the occasion of his 300th birthday (edition) special edition of Enlightenment and Criticism , No. 1/2011 ( prologue and foreword by Streminger online ; PDF; 57 kB)
- David Hume. The philosopher and his age. Munich: CHBeck, 2011. Revised new edition: 2017, ISBN 978-3-406-61402-6 .
- DALRIADA. A Scottish fairy tale. Graz: Leykam 2015, ISBN 978-3-7011-7951-0 .
- The stranger. Novel. Vienna: Braumüller 2016, ISBN 978-3-99200-162-0 (also as e-book: ISBN 978-3-99200-163-7 )
- Adam Smith. Prosperity and morality. A biography. Munich: CH Beck, 2017, ISBN 978-3-406-70659-2 .
- Literature by and about Gerhard Streminger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Gerhard Streminger's website
- Günther Kainersdorfer: David Hume: the master thinker of the Scottish Enlightenment. (mp3 audio, 13.2 MB, 28:55 minutes) In: SRF broadcast “Reflexe”. May 6, 2011 (interview with Gerhard Streminger).
- Carsten Frerk: Tying a "Bond of Friendship" I. In: Humanistic Press Service . July 12, 2010 (Gerhard Streminger on the topicality of David Hume , Adam Smith , British culture, modern criticism of religion and an eco-social market economy). Part II , Part III
- Joachim Scholl: Gerhard Streminger on Adam Smith - "For Smith only the ethical person is happy". Interview with Gerhard Streminger. In: Deutschlandfunk Kultur . March 12, 2017 (interview).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian philosopher and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 26, 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Graz|