Goffredus de Trano
Goffredus de Trano (* around 1200 in Trani ; † April 11, 1245 in Lyon , also Godefridus de Trano , Gaufridus de Trano , Goffredus Tranensis , Gottfried von Trani , Italian Goffredo da Trani ) was an Italian lawyer and cardinal of the Roman Church .
Live and act
Goffredus studied with Azo in Bologna . He worked as a law teacher in Naples and Bologna and became an auditor in 1240 , d. H. Judge appointed to the Curia in Rome . Pope Innocent IV appointed him cardinal deacon of Sant'Adriano on May 28, 1244 ; as such, he signed papal deeds from January 23 to April 3, 1245.
His main work is the Summa super rubricis decretalium , which is also known as Summa titulorum decretalium or Summa super titulis decretalium . It was created between the end of 1241 and the middle of 1243. It is a textbook for that of Gregory IX. commissioned collection of decretals , commonly known as Liber Extra .
Goffredus' textbook is characterized by its clear and understandable language, its orientation towards practical questions of the clergy and its clear solutions to controversial questions. Because of this, it became widespread and gained great influence, particularly among members of the Roman Curia.
- Apparatus glossarum in Decretales. Gregorii IX.
- Summa super rubricas decretalium. Manuscript, 14th century ( digitized )
Summa super rubricis decretalium. Manuscript, 14th century ( digitized )
- Images of a manuscript written in Paris around 1250. ( Digitized version )
- newer edition: Gottofredo da Trani (Goffredus Tranensis): Summa super titulis decretalium. Reprint of the Lyon 1519 edition. Aalen: Scientia 1968
- Bertram, Martin : The decretal apparatus of Goffredus Tranensis . in: Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law NS 1 (1971), p. 79
- Bertram, Martin: Again to the decretal apparatus of Goffredus Tranensis . in: Sources and research from Italian archives and libraries 82 (2002), pp. 638–662
- Martin Bertram: Goffredo da Trani. In: Mario Caravale (ed.): Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI). Volume 57: Giulini – Gonzaga. Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Rome 2001.
- Paravicini Bagliani, Agostino : Cardinali di curia e "familiae" cardinalizie dal 1227 al 1254. Padua: Editrici Antenore, 1972. Vol I, pp. 273-278
- Schulte, Friedrich von : The history of the sources and literature of canon law from Gratian to the present . Vol. 2. The history of the sources and literature of canon law of Pope Gregory IX. to the Council of Trento . Stuttgart: Enke 1877, pp. 88-91
- Zapp, H .: Goffredus de Trano. in: Lexicon of the Middle Ages. Vol. 4, 1988, col. 1533-1534
- Literature by and about Goffredus de Trano in the catalog of the German National Library
- Goffredus de Trano (Tranensis) . In: Kenneth Pennington : Medieval Canonists: A Bio-Bibliographical Listing. Alternatively, Bio-Bibliographical Guide to Medieval and Early Modern Jurists , version from the Ames Foundation, Harvard University, with extensive evidence of the handwritten tradition
- Goffredus de Trano. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website, English)
|SURNAME||Goffredus de Trano|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gottfried von Trani; Godefridus de Trano; Gaufridus de Trano; Goffredus Tranensis; Goffredo da Trani (Italian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian lawyer, cardinal of the Roman Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1200|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Trani|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 11, 1245|
|Place of death||Lyon|