|Drafi Deutscher alias Masquerade|
|publication||December 11, 1983|
|Genre (s)||Pop music , hits|
|Author (s)||Christopher Evans-Ironside , Kurt Gebegern|
|1983||Nino de Angelo|
Guardian Angel is a song from 1983. It was released as a pop song in English by Drafi Deutscher under the pseudonym "Masquerade". In the same year, a German hit version of Nino de Angelo was published under the title Jenseits von Eden .
Version of masquerade
The song was written by the Hamburg producer Christopher Evans-Ironside and by Drafi Deutscher (under the pseudonym Kurt Gebegern) and published under the further pseudonym Masquerade. The text is about feelings of lost love.
"I feel I'm falling apart 'cause I know
I've lost my guardian angel"
"I feel torn because I know
I've lost my guardian angel "
At that time, Drafi Deutscher was not very well respected in the media due to scandal stories, so the pseudonym was chosen, originally for a duo. However, Deutscher recorded the vocals on Guardian Angel alone. The song became a huge hit. It reached 2nd place in Germany , 1st place in Austria and 2nd place in Switzerland . But the song also reached the top ten in the Netherlands (5th place), Belgium (4th), Sweden (4th) and New Zealand (7th).
|Germany (GfK)||2 (18 weeks)||18th|
|Austria (Ö3)||1 (14 weeks)||14th|
|Switzerland (IFPI)||2 (11 weeks)||11|
Version by Nino de Angelo
Joachim Horn-Bernges wrote a completely independent German text for the Guardian Angel melody , which was interpreted by Nino de Angelo . The text is time-sensitive and invites you to think about how we deal with nature and people to one another:
“When even a child no longer laughs like a child,
then we are beyond Eden.
If we don't feel
the earth, it cries like no other planet,
then we have lived in vain ... "
Jenseits von Eden is still one of the best-selling hits in Germany since 1975. The title also gave its name to Nino de Angelo's album, released in 1984, which achieved gold status in Germany. In Great Britain, de Angelo was placed with the English-language version Guardian Angel .
An Italian version of the song and album Jenseits von Eden was published in 1984, albeit initially under the incorrect spelling La valle del Eden . This mistake was corrected a little later in La valle dell'Eden .
|Germany (GfK)||1 (23 weeks)||23|
|Austria (Ö3)||1 (18 weeks)||18th|
|Switzerland (IFPI)||1 (16 weeks)||16|
|United Kingdom (OCC)||57 (9 weeks)||9|
In 1984 Nino de Angelo won the Golden Lion on Radio Luxemburg with the piece .
More cover versions
- 1984: Vicky Leandros in Dutch (Ver van het leven) and French (À l'est d'Éden)
- 1984: Mike Krüger (Beyond the Counter)
- 1984: Bino ( Mia California )
- 1986: The Doctors (Beyond Eden)
- 1992/93: Sabine Bulthaup as Uschi (Out of Sweden)
- 1999: Dana Winner (Guardian Angel)
- 2002: Novaspace (Guardian Angel)
- 2010: Jay Del Alma (Cupid Amor)
- 2011: JBO (Beyond)
- 2011: Eko Fresh feat. Nino de Angelo (Beyond Eden)
- 2017: Michael Hirte ( Beyond Eden ; instrumental version)
- 2019: Giovanni Zarrella (Valle dell'Eden)
|Germany (GfK)||64 (4 weeks)||4th|
|Germany (GfK)||9 (10 weeks)||10|
|Austria (Ö3)||11 (14 weeks)||14th|
Eko Fresh feat. Nino de Angelo
|Germany (GfK)||64 (1 week)||1|
- Masquerade - Guardian Angel in the German charts
- Masquerade - Guardian Angel in the Austrian charts
- Masquerade - Guardian Angel in the Swiss charts
- Beyond Eden at Discogs (English)
- Nino de Angelo - Beyond Eden in the German charts
- Nino de Angelo - Beyond Eden in the Austrian charts
- Nino de Angelo - Beyond Eden in the Swiss charts
- Nino de Angelo - Guardian Angel in the British charts
- Mike Krüger - Beyond the bar in the German charts
- Novaspace - Guardian Angel in the German charts
- Novaspace - Guardian Angel in the Austrian charts
- Eko Fresh feat. Nino de Angelo - Beyond Eden in the German charts