Gustav König (conductor)
König passed his Abitur at a humanistic grammar school and attended the conservatory in his hometown while still at school. He studied at the Academy of Music and Music and the Munich University of Music and Theater . He began his conducting career in 1932/33 as opera bandmaster and concert conductor in Osnabrück and worked in Stettin (from 1934/35), Berlin (from 1936/37: Theater am Nollendorfplatz , Volksoper ) and Aachen (from 1941/42 as first conductor and deputy of the general music director Herbert von Karajan ). From 1943/44 he was head of the municipal music system and musical director of the opera in Essen. In 1951/52 he was appointed general music director and worked with the artistic directors Karl Bauer , Erich Schumacher and Jürgen Dieter Waidelich . In 1975, König retired.
König was best known for his world premieres of modern works, including Frank Martin's Der Zaubertrank (1948), Alban Berg's Lulu (1953 - this production, in which Carla Spletter played the title role, was released on September 7th and 9th. July 1953 at the Holland Festival in the Stadsschouwburg Amsterdam an outstanding success), Dallapiccolas Der Gefangene (1954) and Hermann Reutter's The Bridge of San Luis Rey .
- Gustav König , Der Spiegel, edition 31/1956
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Der Essener Musikverein under Gustav König , Chorforum Essen (PDF; 1.1 MB)
- Mourning for Gustav König , obituary of the city of Essen, February 15, 2005
- Always Essen - The conductor Gustav König has died . Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, February 16, 2005, No. 39, p. 38
- conductor Gustav König died at the age of 94. Berliner Morgenpost from February 16, 2005
- Franz Feldens: 75 Years of the Essen Municipal Theaters. History of the Essen Theater 1892–1967 . Rheinisch-Westfälische Verlagsgesellschaft, 1967.
- Helga Mohaupt, Rudolf Majer-Finkes: The Grillo Theater: History of an Essen theater building. 1892-1990 ; with documentation by Rudolf Majer-Finkes; Bonn: Bouvier, 1990, ISBN 3-416-80661-1
- Jürgen Dieter Waidelich: Essen plays theater: 1000 and one hundred years; for the 100th birthday of the Grillo Theater. Vol. 1 (1992) and Vol. 2 (1994), ECON-Verlag, ISBN 3-430-19454-7
- Conductor of the Essen Philharmonic
- Mourning for Gustav König German Music Information Center on February 14, 2005
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German conductor and general music director in Essen|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 12, 1910|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schwabach|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 5, 2005|
|Place of death||eat|