After attending primary school in Berlin, Hans Kies learned the trade of machinist . As a worker he attended evening school and belonged to a circle of worker draftsmen. In 1926 he became a member of the German Metalworkers' Association . He later joined the Revolutionary Trade Union Opposition . He became a member of the KPD in 1929.
From 1931 Hans Kies studied at the United State Schools for Free and Applied Arts (later the State University for Fine Arts ) in Berlin-Charlottenburg . He finished his studies in 1939. He then went to the military , did his service from 1940 to 1945 and then went to Usedom , where he was mayor of Zinnowitz from 1945 to 1950 . He also worked as a freelance artist, from 1950 freelance . In 1958 he became a city councilor for Berlin .
Hans Kies belonged to the artist collective that created the monuments in the Buchenwald concentration camp from 1955 to 1958 . In 1960 he erected the “Red Sailor” memorial at the cemetery of those who fell in March in Berlin-Friedrichshain , which is intended to commemorate those who fell in the 1918 November Revolution. He also created the Karl Marx Memorial in Alt-Stralau from 1964. In Schwerin in 1965 he created the relief for the “Memorial to Deserved Fighters for Democracy and Socialism”. From 1964 to 1968 he was a circle leader in the house of young talents in Berlin and in the culture house of the automobile manufacturers in Ludwigsfelde . From 1969 he became a lecturer at the Berlin-Weißensee School of Art .
Hans Kies belonged to the presidium of the Association of Visual Artists of the GDR and was chairman of the Berlin district committee.
- 1959: National Prize of the GDR, 2nd class, for his work on the beech forest monument
- 1965: Medal of Merit of the GDR
- 1969: Goethe Prize of the City of Berlin
- 1970: Art Prize of the GDR
- Hans Kies was awarded the Patriotic Order of Merit in bronze.
- Gabriele Baumgartner, Dieter Hebig (Hrsg.): Biographisches Handbuch der SBZ / DDR. 1945–1990. Volume 1: Abendroth - Lyr. KG Saur, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-598-11176-2 , pp. 388-389.
- Literature by and about Hans Kies in the catalog of the German National Library
- Kies, Hans. In: bildhauerei-in-berlin.de (BiB) , accessed on May 2, 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sculptor and politician (KPD, SED)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th December 1910|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kolberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||4th June 1984|
|Place of death||Berlin|