Hans Rudolf Christians
Hans Rudolf Christen grew up as the son of Hermann Christen and his mother Bertha Christen (née Schinz) in Winterthur, where his father was a professor of mathematics, machine drawing and technology at the Winterthur technical center (engineering school) . Christen studied chemistry and botany at the ETH Zurich from 1943 to 1948 , where he graduated with a doctorate (Dr. sc. Nat.) In 1950 . From 1948 he was assistant professor for chemistry at the Kantonsschule Im Lee in Winterthur , until 1951 as a lecturer , afterwards as main teacher and until 1985 as head of department.
In 1965, he took a teaching position for didactics of chemistry teaching at the University of Zurich and received in 1974 appointed to the newly created Department of didactics of chemistry teaching at the University of Tubingen , which he refused 1975th In 1974 Hans Rudolf Christen moved to the ETH with an extended teaching position for chemistry didactics. At the Winterthur canton school he only took half a teaching position. In 1983 he was awarded the title of professor by the ETH Zurich. In 1989 Christians retired.
Christen is the author of a large number of high school and college chemistry textbooks that have become standard works . His basic idea was to use modern explanatory theories for chemical reactions instead of a descriptive chemistry and to introduce an orderly model for chemistry lessons. Christen has made lasting contributions to providing chemistry lessons that are both student-friendly and demanding. His introduction to chemistry met with great interest in schools. He is considered a leading chemist of the 20th century.
His textbook Fundamentals of General and Inorganic Chemistry helped the chemistry student to have a good understanding of physico-chemical and inorganic processes, particularly through the easily understandable pre-calculated examples. Briefly and clearly formulated, it contained the most important basic contents without burdening the student with complicated mathematical derivations or extensive detailed knowledge right at the beginning of his studies. The well thought-out table material was also very helpful, so that thermodynamic equilibria, redox equations, pH values, solubility products and increases in boiling point could be calculated quickly.
In 1990 Christen presented his subject didactics in his book Chemistry Lessons. In 1997 he summarized his opinion on the acceptance of chemistry lessons in schools in a polemic .
In addition, Christians were already interested in the plankton from ponds and small lakes as high school teachers . In the period from 1958 to 1963, numerous works on colorless Euglenozoa and other algae emerged from this . Christen devoted himself to the chemistry and biology of the Hausersee near Andelfingen , which has become one of the best-studied small lakes in Switzerland. Numerous new species are also described in this work.
- 1976 Gmelin-Beilstein commemorative coin of the Society of German Chemists for "services to chemical literature"
- 1982 honorary member of the Institut Grand Ducal in Luxembourg
- 1994 Honorary doctorate from the University of Bern
- 1999 Honorary doctorate from the University of Oldenburg
- Chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1962; New edition (with Günter Baars ) ibid. 1997; Hep, Bern 2008, ISBN 978-3-03905-393-3
- General chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1963; New edition (with Günter Baars) ibid. 1995; Hep, Bern 2008, ISBN 978-3-03905-394-0
- Introduction to chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1965; New edition ibid. 1977, ISBN 3-7941-1615-1
- Basics of general and inorganic chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1968; 9 A. 1988, ISBN 3-7941-0162-6
- Basics of organic chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1970; 6 A. 1985, ISBN 3-7941-2210-0
- Atomic models, periodic table, chemical bond . Sauerländer, Aarau 1972, ISBN 3-7941-0128-6
- Acid-base equilibria, redox processes . Sauerländer, Aarau 1973, ISBN 3-7941-0250-9
- Chemistry of organic natural products . Sauerländer, Aarau 1974, ISBN 3-7941-0251-7
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of chemical reactions . Sauerländer, Aarau 1974, ISBN 3-7941-0249-5
- Structure, substance, reaction . 8 volumes. Sauerländer, Aarau 1974–79
- From atom to macromolecule. Organic chemistry - biochemistry - technical applications (with Herbert Kiechle ). Sauerländer, Aarau 1983, ISBN 3-7941-1484-1
- Structure and energy. An introduction to general chemistry . Sauerländer, Aarau 1985, ISBN 3-7941-1723-9
- Chemistry. On the way to the future . 2 volumes. Sauerländer, Aarau 1988/89, ISBN 3-7941-2717-X (main volume), ISBN 3-7941-3057-X (workbook)
- Organic chemistry. From the basics to research (with Fritz Vögtle ). 3 volumes. Sauerländer, Aarau 1988–94, ISBN 3-7941-3001-4 (Volume 1), ISBN 3-7941-3002-2 (Volume 2), ISBN 3-7941-3639-X (Volume 3)
- Chemistry class. Practice-oriented didactics . Birkhäuser, Basel 1990, ISBN 3-7643-2485-6
- Günter Baars: Hans Rudolf Christen (1924–2011) , Nachrichten aus der Chemie 60 ( 2012 ) 156. doi: 10.1002 / nadc.201290090
- Hans Rudolf Christen: Chemistry - fascinating or a horror subject? For acceptance of chemistry lessons . CHEMKON , 1997, 175-180. doi: 10.1002 / ckon.19970040404 .
|SURNAME||Christians, Hans Rudolf|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Christians, Hans|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss chemistry teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 3, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bern , Switzerland|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 18, 2011|