Harry Schmidt (art historian)
Harry Schmidt was the son of the Hamburg businessman Alexander Schmidt. At the age of six he came to Friedrichstadt with his mother , where he also attended school. After attending the high school in Husum , he studied in Heidelberg (1902/03), Berlin and Kiel . In 1907 he received his doctorate in classical philology under Siegfried Sudhaus and Paul Wendland in Kiel and then worked as a teacher at grammar schools until 1924, first in Flensburg and then in Kiel. He then worked a. a. for the Baltic Historical Research Institute of Otto Scheel in Kiel and was editor of the Kiel Latest News . In 1923 he founded the Nordelbingen magazine with Walter H. Dammann . Contributions to local research in Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg and Lübeck . He headed the magazine until 1958. From 1940 to 1948 he worked for the State Office for the Preservation of Monuments in Schleswig-Holstein .
He was a holder of the Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class . On February 14, 1963 he received the Lornsen chain of the Schleswig-Holstein Homeland Federation , and he was also an honorary member of the Society for Schleswig-Holstein History .
See Bibliography of Publications by Dr. Harry Schmidt . In: Nordelbingen 26, 1958.
- Veteres philosophi quomodo iudicaverint de precibus (= Religious historical experiments and preparatory work 4, 1). Giessen 1907 (dissertation; digitized version ).
- The inventory of the estate of the painter Jürgen Ovens (= source collection of the Society for Schleswig-Holstein History 7). Vollbehr & Riepen, Kiel 1913.
- Gottorff artist. From documented sources in the Imperial Archives in Copenhagen . In: Sources and research on the history of Schleswig-Holstein 4, 1916, pp. 182–321 ( digitized version ) and 5, 1917, p. 238–392 ( digitized version ).
- Pictures from the history of the city of Friedrichstadt ad Eider . Friedrichstadt ad Eider 1921; 2nd edition 1931.
- Jürgen Ovens. His life and his works. A contribution to the history of Dutch painting in the XVII. Century . Self-published, Kiel 1922 ( digitized version ).
- Friedrich von Esmarch. Childhood memories. West Holstein Publishing House, Heide 1938.
- Three castles on the Westensee . Möller, Rendsburg 1953.
- The golden hall. About art and folk art in Schleswig-Holstein . Matthiesen, Oldenburg / Holstein 1956.
- Eduard Edert : Dr. Harry Schmidt, the new bearer of the lorn chain, 80 years old on March 5th . In: Schleswig-Holstein 15, 1963, p. 76.
- Olaf Klose : Dr. Harry Schmidt, bearer of the lorn chain, has passed away . In: Schleswig Holstein 16, 1964, p. 245.
- Olaf Klose: In memoriam Harry Schmidt . In: Nordelbingen 33, 1964.
- Harry Schmidt : In: Nordfriesisches Jahrbuch 1, 1965, p. 17.
- Harry Schmidt in the German biography
- Literature by and about Harry Schmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schmidt, Harry Richard Alexander (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 5, 1883|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Port-au-Prince|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 27, 1964|
|Place of death||Saint Peter|