Life and accomplishments
Heike Zimmermann-Timm studied biology at the University of Innsbruck ( Austria ) from 1984 to 1989 , where she wrote her diploma thesis on the topic of late winter to early summer situation of phyto- and zooplankton in Lake Piburger See (Tyrol, Austria) under the direction of Roland Pechlaner . She then did research at the Institute for Hydrobiology and Fisheries Science at the University of Hamburg in Hartmut Kausch's group. There she did her doctorate in 1994 with the subject of studies on the importance of ciliates in the microbial food web of Lake Belauer . The work was created within the framework of the BMBF- funded project ecosystem research in the area of the Bornhöveder chain of lakes.
The habilitation took place in 2000 at the University of Hamburg on the topic of the importance of aggregates in aquatic food tissue under the direction of marine researcher Hjalmar Thiel ( Alfred Wegener Institute for Marine Research Bremerhaven and University of Hamburg). Zimmermann-Timm received the venia legendi in Hamburg for the subject of hydrobiology and fishery science and later at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena for the subject of ecology . From 1999 to 2002, she worked at the Institute for Ecology at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena as head of the Limnology group.
In 2002, Zimmermann-Timm moved to the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) in Potsdam as a scientific coordinator , where she was responsible for the international research agenda, the establishment of national and international research networks, the procurement and support of third-party funds and the representation of the institute was. A success was the merging of the departments into interdisciplinary research fields with the aim of developing solutions for the global problems of the time. From this process, the PIK developed as a trailblazer for the energy transition. She is still a visiting researcher at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.
In 2009 Zimmermann-Timm was as Managing Director of the Graduate School Goethe Graduate Academy (GRADE) to the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main appointed whose construction she performed. She advocates a form of structured doctoral training that relieves professors and supports doctoral candidates on their career path without restricting the freedom of doctoral candidates and leading them to immaturity. Until March 2016 she was the managing director of the university-wide graduate academy, GRADE, of the Goethe University. She has been working as a coach and science manager since 2016.
Her main focus is the importance of microbial food tissue in standing waters, rivers, estuaries and in marine habitats.
Memberships and honors
Zimmermann-Timm has been on the Scientific Advisory Board of UfU eV in Berlin since 2012 and on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Ingrid Solms zu Wildenfels Foundation since 2015. In 2016 she was led by Prof. Dr. hc mult. Anton Zeilinger appointed to the Earth System Advisory Board of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
Zimmermann-Timm was appointed to the ZONTA Club Bad Soden - Kronberg in 2015, where she is committed to promoting the career path of women nationally and internationally.
She is the spokesperson for the quality assurance and evaluation work group and the evaluation of graduate institutions at UniWiND.
Zimmermann-Timm is on the advisory board of the scientific journal Limnologica . Heike Zimmermann-Timm is employed as a reviewer by various scientific organizations.
Zimmermann-Timm pays particular attention to training doctoral students to become a global PhD . She is a co-founder of the Frankfurt / Rhein-Main network, which brings together science, business and society. As part of this activity, the concept for the Climate KIC PhD Summerschool was created, which was awarded the “Werkstatt N Prize” in 2015 by the Federal Government's Sustainability Council. With the development of the eLearning tool for "Good Scientific Practice in Doctoral Studies", she created an instrument that is unique in Germany. In 2015, GRADE was awarded the Comenius EduMedia Prize and the International E-learning Award for the tool . In 2016 the eLearning tool “Study and then do a doctorate” was awarded the “Comenius EduMedia Prize”.
- "Are you happy" - summary of the university-wide survey on doctoral studies at Goethe University. Edited by Heike Zimmermann-Timm, self-published in January 2014.
- Do a successful doctorate with GRADE. Leaders for science and business. Ed. Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Duz Special in April 2014.
- Certainly to the doctorate. Ed. Heike Zimmermann-Timm, DUZ Special in August 2015
- Out into life. New study by the ESF shows career paths of university graduates. Heike Zimmermann-Timm, UniReport 2, April 7, 2016, p. 6.
- Good Academic Practice During Doctoral Studies An E-Learning Course for Early Career Researchers at the Goethe University, Frankfurt (Germany). AM Weigand & Heike Zimmermann-Timm (2016), International Journal of Advanced Corporate Learning (iJAC) 9 (1): 51-52, doi: 10.3991 / ijac.v9i1.5271
- A set of rules alone is not enough. Integrate knowledge of "good scientific practice in doctoral studies" into everyday research. H. Zimmermann-Timm & AM Weigand (2016): Research & Teaching 5, 308-309 .
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Antje Wegner, Alexander Weigand & Jan Zierlein. Re-intellectualization through digitization? The use of eLearning tools in doctoral training. In: Barbara Dauner-Lieb & An-Marie Kaulbach (eds.): E-learning in law studies. Gimmick or a chance to purely modernize. Journal of Law Didactics, Special Volume 1, 2018, 62-71.
Publications in magazines
- Heike Zimmermann: Interactions between proto- and metazooplankton after the phytoplankton spring bloom in a eutrophic lake (Belauer See, Bornhöveder Seenkette). In: Acta Protozoologica. Volume 35, 1996, pp. 215-221
- Heike Zimmermann and Hartmut Kausch: Microaggregates: Structure and Colonization in the Elbe-Estuary during spring. In: Archive of Hydrobiology / Spec. Issues Advanc. Limnol. Volume 48, 1996, pp. 85-92
- Heike Zimmermann: The diversity of the microbial community in the Elbe Estuary. In: Aquatic Microbial Ecology. Volume 13, No. 1, 1997, pp. 37-46
- Klaus Jürgens, Hartmut Arndt and Heike Zimmermann: Impact of metazoan and protozoan grazers on bacterial biomass distribution in microcosm experiments. In: Aquatic Microbial Ecology. Volume 12, 1997, pp. 131-138
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Henry Holst and Stefan Müller: Seasonal dynamics of aggregates and their typical biocoenosis in the Elbe Estuary. In: Estuaries. Volume 21, No. 4, 1998, pp. 613-621
- Henry Holst, Heike Zimmermann, Hartmut Kausch and Walter Koste: Seasonal dynamics of planktonic rotifers in the Elbe estuary during spring. In: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. Volume 47, 1998, pp. 261-273
- Ute Wörner and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Beggiatoa leptomitiformis - a filamentous sulfur oxidizing bacterium on aggregates in the Elbe Estuary. In: Limnologica. Volume 30, No. 2, 2000, pp. 215-221.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Susanne Barkmann: Feeding behavior of two planktonic freshwater ciliates coexisting during spring time in a eutrophic lake (Belauer See, Bornhöveder Seenkette). In: Limnologica. Volume 30, No. 2, 2000, pp. 222-230.
- Ute Wörner, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Hartmut Kausch: Succession of protists on estuarine agregates. In: Microbial Ecology. Volume 40, 2000, pp. 209-222.
- Helle Ploug, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Bernd Schweitzer: Microbial communities and respiration rates on micro-aggregates: Their quantitative significance on carbon turnover in the Elbe estuary, Germany. In: Aquatic Microbial Ecology. Volume 27, 2002, pp. 241-248.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Characterization, dynamics and importance of aggregates in running waters. In: International Review of Hydrobiology. Volume 87, No. 2-3, 2002, pp. 197-240.
- Henry Holst, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Hartmut Kausch: Longitudinal and transversal distribution of planktonic organisms in the potamal of the river Elbe during summer. In: International Review of Hydrobiology. Volume 87, No. 2-3, 2002, pp. 267-280.
- Ute Wörner, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Hartmut Kausch: Aggregate-associated bacteria and heterotrophic flagellates in the River Elbe - their relative significance along the longitudinal profile according to different points of reference. In: International Review of Hydrobiology. Volume 87, No. 2-3, 2002, pp. 255-266.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Marcus Hoberg, Stefan Müller and Henry Holst: The influence of channel topography on estuarine aggregates: seasonal changes in occurence, characteristics and colonization in the Elbe Estuary. In: Archive of Hydrobiology, Large Rivers. Volume 13, No. 3-4, 2002, pp. 263-283.
- Falko Wagner, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Wilfried Schönborn: The Bottom Sampler - a new technique for sampling bed sediments in streams and shallow lakes. In: Hydrobiologia. Volume 505, 2003, pp. 73-76.
- Bernard Karrasch, Sören Ullrich, Maren Mertens and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Free and particle associated microbial activity in the tidal influenced Elbe River, Germany. In: Acta Hydrochemica. Volume 31, No. 4-5, 2003, pp. 297-306.
- Rolf Koppelmann, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Horst Weikert: A comparison of bacterial and mesozooplankton abundance and biomass in the deep-sea of the NW Indian Ocean. In: Deep Sea Research. Volume I 52, 2005, pp. 2184-2192.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Alois Herzig: Ciliates and Flagellates in Saline Pans salinity. In: Proceedings International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. Volume 29, 2006, pp. 1940-1946.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Henry Holst and Hartmut Kausch: Dynamics of Rotifers in a Large Lowland River, the Elbe, Germany - How important are retentive shoreline habitats for the plankton community? In: Hydrobiologia. 2007, doi: 10.1007 / s10750-007-9046-9 .
- Fanny Langerwisch, Stefanie Jachner, Ben Poulter, Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Wolfgang Cramer: Assessing Carbon Dynamics in Amazonia with the Dynamic Global Vegetation Model LPJmL - Discharge Evaluation. In: Proceedings International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. Volume 20, No. 3, 2008, pp. 455-458.
- SSS Sarma, Heike Zimmermann-Timm, S. Nandini, NT Chellappa: Limnoecology in Latin America. Preface.Limnologica. Volume 39, 2009, p. 263.
- Norbert Walz, Rita Adrain, John Gilbert, Michael T. Monaghan, Guntram Weithoff and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Preface. Hydrobiologia. Volumes 1-4, 2011.
Book chapters in German and English
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: estuaries. In: W. von Tümpling and G. Friedrich: Methods of biological water investigation. Gustav Fischer Verlag, 1999, pp. 482-534.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Bacterioplankton. In: W. von Tümpling and G. Friedrich: Methods of biological water investigation. Gustav Fischer Verlag, 1999, pp. 97-110.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Grazing of proto- and metazooplankton. In: W. von Tümpling and G. Friedrich: Methods of biological water investigation. Gustav-Fischer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 119-133.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Tripton. In: W. von Tümpling and G. Friedrich: Methods of biological water investigation. Gustav Fischer Verlag, 1999, pp. 26-34.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Zooplankton-Protozooplankton. In: W. von Tümpling and G. Friedrich: Methods of biological water investigation. Gustav Fischer Verlag, 1999, pp. 76-97.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Characterization, dynamics and importance of aggregates in running waters. In: International Review of Hydrobiology. Volume 87, No. 2-3, 2003, pp. 197-240.
- TM Lenton, KG Caldeira, SA Franck, G. Horneck, A. Jolly, E. Rabbow, H.-J. Schellnhuber, E. Száthmary, F. Westall, GA Zavarzin, H. Zimmermann-Timm: Long-term Geosphere-Biosphere Coevolution and Astrobiology. In: Hans Joachim Schellnhuber , Paul J. Crutzen , William C. Clark, Martin Claussen and Hermann Held: Earth System Analysis for sustainability, Dahlem Workshop Reports. 2004, pp. 111-139.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Salinization of waters. In: J.-L. Lozan, F. Colijn, H. Graßl, P. Hupfer, L. Menzel, P. Wilderer, C.-D. Schönwiese: water warning sign. Parey Verlag, 2005, pp. 122-125.
- Klaus Follner, Ralf Baufeld, Hans Jürgen Böhmer, Klaus Henle, Volker Hüsing, Meike Kleinwächter, Thomas Rickfelder, Matthias Scholten, Sabine Stab, Christine Vogel and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Selected methodical approaches. In: M. Scholz, S. Stab, F. Dziock and K. Henle (eds.): Habitats of the Elbe and their floodplains. Weißensee Verlag Ökologie, 2005, pp. 73–76.
- Matthias Scholten, Matthias Brunke, Henry Holst, Sandra Kröwer, Ute Wörner and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: habitats of the Elbe river landscape. In: M. Scholz, S. Stab, F. Dziock and K. Henle (eds.): Habitats of the Elbe and their floodplains. Weißensee Verlag Ökologie, 2005, pp. 103-138.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Processes and Biocenoses in the Pelagial of the Main Stream. In: M. Pusch and H. Fischer (eds.): Material dynamics and habitat structure in the Elbe. Weißensee Verlag Ökologie, 2006, pp. 31–32.
- Ute Wörner and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Planktic bacteria and protozoa. In: M. Pusch and H. Fischer (eds.): Material dynamics and habitat structure in the Elbe. Weißensee Verlag Ökologie, 2006, pp. 65–71.
- Ute Wörner and Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Plankton and benthic colonization in groyne fields. Aggregates in groyne fields. In: M. Pusch and H. Fischer (eds.): Material dynamics and habitat structure in the Elbe Weißensee Verlag Ökologie, 2006, pp. 144–146.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Fritz Schiemer: Climate change - functionality of flowing waters in danger. In: JL Lozán u. a. (Ed.): Warning signal climate - health risks: possible effects on humans, animals and plants. Parey Verlag, 2007, pp. 296-298 .
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Salinization of waters. In: J.-L. Lozan, F. Colijn, H. Graßl, P. Hupfer, L. Menzel, P. Wilderer, C.-D. Schönwiese: water warning sign. 2nd edition, Parey Verlag, 2011, pp. 122–125 .
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm: Social perception of biodiversity and climate change - water management. In: V. Mosbrugger, G. Brasseur, M. Schaller and B. Stribny: White Paper Biodiversity and Climate Change. 2012, pp. 382-387.
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Meghnath Dhimal & Kirsten Zickfeld: Flood events in monsoon areas. In: José L. Lozan, Siegmar-W. Breckle, Hartmut Graßl, Dieter Kasang, Ralf Weisse (eds.): Warning signal extreme climate events. Scientific evaluations in cooperation with GEO, 2018, 187-192 .
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm, Oliver Ike, Calianno Martin, Simone Persiano & Primož Pipan: Local Water Use: Water Supply, Agriculture, Tourism. In: Füreder L., R. Weingartner, K. Heinrich, V. Braun, G. Köck, K. Lanz, T. Scheurer (eds.), Alpine Water - Common Good Or Source Of Conflicts? Proceedings of the ForumAlpinum 2018 and the 7 th Water Conference, 4th-6th June 2018, Breitenwang (Tyrol). Austrian Academy of Sciences Press, 2018, 48-51 , ISBN 978-3-7001-8353-2 . doi: 10.1553 / forumalpinum2018.
Publication of (educational) books and guest editor of magazines
- Jeanette Cornelie Riedel-Lorjé, Sabine Agatha, Ute Ehrhorn, Henry Holst, Britta Köpcke, Hans-Joachim Krieg, Heike Zimmermann: Small creatures of the tidal Elbe. Reports from ARGE-Elbe, 1998
- Heike Zimmermann-Timm and Reiner Eckmann (guest editors): Interactions in the plankton and benthos of standing and flowing water. Limnologica, 2000
- SSS Sarma, S. Nandini, NT Chellappa and Heike Zimmermann-Timm (guest editors): Limnoecology in Latin America. Limnologica, 2009
- Norbert Walz, Rita Adrian, John Gilbert, Michael T. Monaghan, Guntram Weithoff and Heike Zimmermann-Timm (guest editors): Rotifera. Hydrobiologia, 2011
- PD Dr. Heike Zimmermann-Timm - Curriculum Vitae . Website of the Potsdam Institute for climate impact research (PIK) . Queryed on January 28, 2015.
- How much help does a doctorate need? - Time
- PD Dr. Heike Zimmermann-Timm - Interview ( Memento from July 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ). UfU eV website. Accessed January 28, 2015.
- Ingrid zu Solms Foundation
- Austrian Academy of Sciences
- ZONTA Club Bad Soden ( Memento from June 17, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Coordinator: Quality assurance and evaluation at UniWiND ( Memento from May 25, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Coordinator: Evaluation of graduate institutions at UniWiND ( Memento from May 25, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Elsevier - Limnologica Editorial Board
- Workshop - N ( Memento from September 25, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- EduMedia price
- International E-learning Award
- Are you happy - poll . Frankfurter Rundschau website. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Are you happy - poll . Website of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main . Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- successful doctorate with GRADE. - duz special . Website of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main . Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- DUZ Special - Sure to get a doctorate
- UniReport - Out into life
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German biologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 11, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Leverkusen|