Johann Heinrich Rudolf Schenck (born January 31, 1860 in Siegen , † June 25, 1927 in Darmstadt ) was a German botanist and university professor. Its official botanical author's abbreviation is " Schenck ".
Johann Heinrich Rudolf Schenck, one of four sons of the doctor Martin Schenck and his wife Johanna geb. Dressler, studied natural sciences at the University of Bonn from 1879 to 1880 and at the University of Berlin from 1881 to 1882 . In Berlin his teachers were in particular August Wilhelm Eichler and Simon Schwendener . From 1882 to 1883 he was back in Bonn and was there in 1884 with Eduard Strasburger as Dr. phil. PhD.
In 1886/1887 he went on a research trip to Brazil with Andreas Franz Wilhelm Schimper , where they were among others with Johann Friedrich Theodor Müller in Blumenau . In 1889 Schenck became a private lecturer at the University of Bonn and in 1896 received a call to the chair of botany at the Darmstadt Polytechnic . At the same time he was appointed director of the Botanical Garden in Darmstadt . When Schenck began his service at the TH Darmstadt on October 1, 1896, the previously independent botanical garden was attached to the university.
Schenck's research interests focused on aquatic plants, in which he primarily researched the histological structure and living conditions. He summarized his results in this area in the first ecological monograph on this group. He further researched the morphology, histology and ecology of the lianas.
He was a co-founder and co-editor of Strasburger up to the 16th edition .
Heinrich Schenck was dean of the chemistry department from 1901 to 1904 and rector of the TH Darmstadt from 1909 to 1911.
Heinrich Schenck died in Darmstadt at the age of 67. He had been married to Marie Schwarz from Siegen since 1890. Several children arose from the marriage. The daughter Erna, married Erna Walter (1893-1992) was also a botanist. His brothers were the physiologist Fritz Schenck , the botanist Adolf Schenck and the biochemist Martin Schenck .
honors and awards
- 1899: Award of the Imperial Russian Order of Saint Anne III. class
- 1905: Award of the Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Grand Ducal Hessian Order of Merit of Philip the Magnanimous
- 1909: Awarded the honorary title of Privy Councilor
- Textbook of botany for universities. Jena: G. Fischer. up to 16th arrangement by Hans Fitting ; Ludwig Jost ; Heinrich Schenck; George Karsten
- Vegetation pictures from the Sierra de Mixteca Mexico. Jena: Fischer, 1922.
- Martin Schongauer's dragon tree. Jena: Fischer, 1920
- Lichen stocks. Jena: Fischer, 1914
- Contributions to the knowledge of the vegetation of the Canary Islands: with inscriptions from AFW Schimpers. Jena: Fischer, 1922
- On the flora and vegetation of St. Paul and New Amsterdam: with inset reports. AFW Schimpers. Jena: Fischer, 1922
- Comparative representation of the plant geography of the sub-Antarctic islands, in particular of the flora and vegetation of Kerguelen: with inserts from AFW Schimper's writings. Jena: Fischer, 1922
- Contributions to the knowledge of the vegetation and flora of the Seychelles: with inserts left behind by AFW Schimper u. after d. Preparatory work by H. Schenk. Ed. Ludwig Diels. - Jena: Fischer, 1922
- Alpine vegetation. Jena: Fischer, 1908
- Mediterranean trees. Jena: Fischer, 1905
- Beach vegetation of Brazil. Jena: Fischer, 1903
- Vegetation pictures from southern Brazil. Jena: Fischer, 1903
- Tropical crops. Jena: Fischer, 1903
- Comparative anatomy of the submerged plants: with 10 plates. Cassel: Fischer, 1886
- Contributions to the biology and anatomy of the lianas: in particular the species native to Brazil. Jena: Fischer, 1892
- Christa Wolf, Marianne Viefhaus: Directory of professors at TH Darmstadt. Darmstadt 1977, p. 178.
- Ulrich Lüttge, Elke Fischer-Schliers, Stefan Schneckenburger (eds.): Botany at the Technical University of Darmstadt 1814-1970. Darmstadt 2005.
- Literature by and about Heinrich Schenck in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Heinrich Schenck at the IPNI
- Schenck, Heinrich Rudolf. Hessian biography. (As of April 22, 2014). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Deutsche Bauzeitung , Volume 33, 1899, No. 97 (from December 6, 1899), p. 612.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schenck, Johann Heinrich Rudolf|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 31, 1860|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wins|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 25, 1927|
|Place of death||Darmstadt|