Heinrich Wellenbrink was the son of the farmer and room Wilhelm Wellenbrink and of Katharina Wellenbrink, nee. Vossmeier. He attended elementary school in his hometown and trained between 1910 and 1913 in Halle, Westphalia. Then he worked in administration in Brakel and in Wanne . He was a war volunteer in the First World War and served on the Western Front from July 1915 to December 1918 .
From November 1, 1922 he was senior secretary in the Uetersen city administration and from September 1920 a member of the SPD . In 1923 he became a city councilor and in 1929 deputy mayor. On March 16, 1930, he was elected mayor of the city of Uetersen with 2,336 votes out of 2,578 valid votes . In 1931, under his direction, the construction of the Friedrich-Ebert-Schule began, the city's gas supply was modernized and children's meals were set up for the children of the unemployed. From February 18, 1931, disciplinary proceedings were initiated against Wellenbrink because he was said to have been “unlawful and neglected”. The proceedings were discontinued on September 30, 1935.
On March 25, 1933, shortly after the " seizure of power " on January 30, 1933, Wellenbrink was relieved of his office as part of the process of conformity. With the help of the law for the restoration of the civil service of April 7, 1933, he was finally dismissed from the civil service and deprived of his pension. Wellenbrink left Uetersen and became a businessman in Bremen. In 1938 he became a simple member of the NSV and the DAF in order to be able to practice his profession there.
On July 27, 1923, he married Olga Stanke. Their daughter Olga Ingeborg Erna was born on April 1st, 1927 in Uetersen.
In December 2010 the Uetersen council meeting decided to name the Heinrich-Wellenbrink-Weg after him .
- Lothar Mosler : Memories of personalities in our city. Who was Heinrich Wellenbrink? In: Uetersen Local History Museum.
- Angelika Voss-Louis: New beginning on ruins. The diaries of Bremen's Mayor Theodor Spitta 1945–1947 . Oldenbourg Verlag, Munich 1992 ISBN 3-486-55938-9 (Biographical Sources on German History after 1945, Vol. 13), p. 484.
- Christina Schubert: Heinrich Wellenbrink. Uetersen's last democratic mayor before 1933 . In: Sönke Zankel (Ed.): Uetersen and the National Socialists. From Weimar to the Federal Republic. New research results from students at Ludwig-Meyn-Gymnasium . Schmidt & Klauding, Kiel 2010, ISBN 978-388312-4179 , pp. 35-66.
- Robin Mirow: Wellenbrink, Heinrich . In: Sönke Zankel, Doris Schmidt, Lars Koesterke (eds.): Das Uetersen-Lexikon Schmidt & Klaunig, Kiel 2012 ISBN 978-388312-421-6 , pp. 168–170.
- Uetersener Nachrichten March 17, 1930. Facsimile in Christina Schubert, p. 42.
- Christina Schubert, pp. 50–59; Robin Mirow, p. 169 f.
- Compensation application by Heinrich Wellenbrink December 27, 1946, quoted from Christina Schubert, p. 61.
- Robin Mirow, p. 170.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Mayor of Uetersen, German social democrat.|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 23, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oldendorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 18, 1974|
|Place of death||Bremen|