Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort
Henry Somerset was born at Raglan Castle as the eldest son of Edward Somerset, 2nd Marquess of Worcester , and his first wife Elizabeth Dormer. As his father's apparent marriage , he carried the courtesy title of Lord Herbert from 1646 .
In 1660 he joined the English army as a colonel in an infantry regiment. In 1660 he was elected Knight of the Shire for Monmouthshire in the House of Commons . He was also Lord Lieutenant of Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire from 1660 to 1689 . In 1661 he became a colonel in a cavalry regiment. In 1663 he completed his studies at Oxford University as a Master of Arts . When his father died on April 3, 1667, he inherited his title of nobility as 3rd Marquess of Worcester , 7th Earl of Worcester and 9th Baron Herbert . He received a seat in the House of Lords and left the House of Commons.
As a descendant of John of Gaunt , he was related to the Stuart royal family and supported the Stuart Restoration . For his services, King Charles II made him Duke of Beaufort on December 2, 1682 . After the Glorious Revolution , Somerset refused to give King William III. the oath of allegiance.
On August 17, 1657, he married Mary Capell (1630–1715), daughter of Arthur Capell, 1st Baron Capell of Hadham , sister of Arthur Capell, 1st Earl of Essex , and widow of Henry Seymour, Lord Beauchamp (1626 -1654). They had three sons and four daughters together:
- Henry Somerset, Lord Herbert († young);
- Charles Somerset, Marquess of Worcester (1660–1698), military and politician, ⚭ 1682 Rebecca Child, daughter of Sir Josiah Child, 1st Baronet ;
- Lord Arthur Somerset (* 1663), ⚭ Mary Russell, daughter of Sir William Russell, 1st Baronet;
- Lady Mary Somerset (1664-1733), Lady of the Bedchamber, ⚭ 1685 James Butler, 2nd Duke of Ormonde ;
- Lady Henrietta Somerset (around 1670-1715), ⚭ (1) 1685 Henry O'Brien, Lord O'Brien , ⚭ (2) 1685 Henry Howard, 6th Earl of Suffolk ;
- Lady Anne Somerset (1673–1763), ⚭ 1686 Thomas Coventry, 2nd Earl of Coventry ;
- a fourth daughter (* around 1663) probably died young.
Somerset's son Charles died before he could inherit his father's titles; the dignity therefore passed to his son Henry .
- Thomas Seccombe: Somerset, Henry . In: Sidney Lee (Ed.): Dictionary of National Biography . Volume 53: Smith - Stanger. , MacMillan & Co, Smith, Elder & Co., New York City / London 1898, pp. 242 - 245 (English).
- Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort on thepeerage.com
- Molly McClain: Beaufort: The Duke and His Duchess, 1657-1715 . Yale University Press, 2001, ISBN 978-0-300-08411-5 ( google.de [accessed March 5, 2020]).
|New title created||
Duke of Beaufort
Marquess of Worcester
|SURNAME||Somerset, Henry, 1st Duke of Beaufort|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Somerset, Henry, Lord Herbert|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English nobleman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1629|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 21, 1700|