Hermann August Korff
Korff was the son of the Bremen entrepreneur Wilhelm August Korff and his wife Agathe. From 1902 to 1906 he studied German , history and philosophy at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn and the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg . In 1907 he was in Heidelberg with the dissertation Scott and Alexis. A study of the technique of the Dr. phil. PhD. In 1913 Voltaire followed his habilitation as a classicist author in 18th century literary Germany at the Academy for Social and Commercial Sciences in Frankfurt am Main.
From 1914 to 1921 he was a private lecturer for modern German literature at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . In 1921 he became an adjunct professor in Frankfurt, in 1923 a full professor at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen and in 1925 a full professor at the University of Leipzig . One of his doctoral students was the later pedagogue and pioneer of Jewish social work Heinrich Selver , whose dissertation The view of the citizen in the German bourgeois drama of the 18th century had been rated cum laude by Korff .
Korff retired in 1954. He was a member of the Saxon Academy of Sciences in Leipzig.
His most important work is the spirit of the Goethe era . In the four-volume work he understands the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century as a uniform epoch in the German-speaking area, which in Hegel has its philosophical and in Goethe its poetic expression.
Korff's grandson is the oboe virtuoso Burkhard Glaetzner (* 1943).
Spirit of Goethe's time: attempting an ideal development of the classical-romantic literary history.
- Part 1: Sturm und Drang. Hirzel, Leipzig 1923. 8th, unchanged edition: Koehler & Amelang, Leipzig 1966.
- Part 2, 1. Weltanschauung. Hirzel, Leipzig 1927.
- Part 2, 2nd classic. Hirzel, Leipzig 1930. 8th, unchanged edition: Koehler & Amelang, Leipzig 1966.
- Part 3: Early Romanticism. Hirzel, Leipzig 1940. 7th, unchanged edition: Koehler & Amelang, Leipzig 1966.
- Part 4: Highly romantic. Koehler & Amelang, Leipzig 1953. 7th, unchanged edition 1966.
- Register tape for all four volumes. Koehler & Amelang, Leipzig 1957. 6th, unchanged edition 1966.
- Joachim Müller : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 12, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1980, ISBN 3-428-00193-1 , p. 585 f. ( ).
- Literature by and about Hermann August Korff in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hermann August Korff in the professorial catalog of the University of Leipzig
- Hertha Luise Busemann: The headmaster - Heinrich Selver , in: Hertha Luise Busemann, Michael Daxner, Werner Fölling: Insel der Geborgenheit. The private forest school Kaliski 1932 to 1939 , Verlag JB Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 1992, ISBN 3-476-00845-2 , pp. 180-183. The view of the citizen in the German bourgeois drama of the 18th century (Leipzig Philosophical Dissertation from 1930) , Engelsdorf, Leipzig, 1931. Henrik Selver is named here as the author.
|SURNAME||Korff, Hermann August|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Germanist and literary historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 3, 1882|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bremen|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 11, 1963|
|Place of death||Leipzig|