Hermes attended secondary school 1st order in Perleberg and left it prematurely and became a businessman. He worked for several years in Magdeburg wholesale stores and was a co-owner of the goods commission business founded in 1861 and dissolved in 1876 under the company: Hermes und Hey . Then he managed his property.
From 1877 to 1895 he was a member of the Prussian House of Representatives and from 1877 to 1887 and 1890 to 1893 of the German Reichstag for various constituencies and the German Progressive Party and the German Liberal Party .
Together with his brother Otto Hermes and Ludolf Parisius , Hermes was one of the closest political circles around Eugen Richter for many years . In the German Liberal Party, he temporarily exercised the function of treasurer.
After leaving the Prussian House of Representatives, Hugo Hermes retired into private life in 1895. He died in 1915 at the age of 78 on his country estate in Saßnitz.
- Bernhard Mann (edit.): Biographical manual for the Prussian House of Representatives. 1867-1918. Collaboration with Martin Doerry , Cornelia Rauh and Thomas Kühne . Düsseldorf: Droste Verlag, 1988, p. 176 (handbooks on the history of parliamentarism and political parties: vol. 3); for the election results see Thomas Kühne: Handbook of elections to the Prussian House of Representatives 1867–1918. Election results, election alliances and election candidates (= handbooks on the history of parliamentarism and political parties. Volume 6). Droste, Düsseldorf 1994, ISBN 3-7700-5182-3 , pp. 198–202 for constituency 51 and p. 202–204 for constituency 52.
- overview of the constituencies and the respective elections, see Fritz Specht, Paul Schwabe: Die Reichstag elections from 1867 to 1903. Statistics of the Reichstag elections along with the programs of the parties and a list of the elected representatives. 2nd Edition. Carl Heymann Verlag, Berlin 1904, p. 489.
- Hugo Hermes † . In: Berliner Tageblatt , June 10, 1915, morning edition, p. 3. (accessed on March 16, 2019)
- Berliner Tageblatt , June 10, 1915, morning edition, p. 3.
- Bernhard Mann: Biographical Handbook for the Prussian House of Representatives (1867-1918). Droste, Düsseldorf 1988, ISBN 3-7700-5146-7 (= manuals on the history of parliamentarism and political parties, volume 3)
- Hugo Hermes in the database of members of the Reichstag
- Hugo Hermes biography . In: Heinrich Best : database of the members of the Reichstag of the Empire 1867/71 to 1918 (Biorab - Kaiserreich)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German businessman and politician (DHP), MdR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 4, 1837|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Meyenburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 9, 1915|
|Place of death||Saßnitz|