Jürgen W. Schmidt
Jürgen W. Schmidt (* 1958 ) is a German officer and historian .
Schmidt's family originally came from Silesia ; she was expelled in 1947 . He served as an officer in the National People's Army and the Bundeswehr . After the end of his service, he began to study history, psychology and intercultural educational science at the FernUniversität in Hagen in 1993 . He wrote his master's thesis in 1997 on the Russian military intelligence service during the Russo-Japanese War (1904/05). In 2004 he started working for Peter Brandt in the cultural and social sciences department with the dissertation “The Minister of War considers it urgently desirable in the interests of military intelligence…”, which was largely received positively in the professional world . The military intelligence service of the Great General Staff and its cooperation with the Prussian administrative authorities in the intelligence service and counter-espionage, primarily illustrated using the example of the administrative district of Bromberg in the years 1890–1914 for Dr. phil. PhD. The results were presented at a meeting of the Working Group on the History of Prussia .
His focus is on Prussian history and the history of the secret services. Schmidt is the editor of numerous books, author of articles ( Jahrbuch Preußenland and others) and a reviewer ( Baltic studies , military history journal , yearbooks for the history of Eastern Europe , research on Brandenburg and Prussian history, etc.).
In 2013 he gave a lecture at a conference of the Department “Knowledge - Culture - Transformation” and the Historical Institute of the University of Rostock on “The procurement of officially necessary information by secret service channels by German consuls and diplomats in China (1896–1917)”. He is u. a. Member of the discussion group for the intelligence services in Germany .
- Against Russia and France. The German military secret service 1890-1914 (= secret service history . Vol. 1). Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2006, ISBN 3-933022-35-5 . (3rd edition 2009)
- (Red.): About Prussia. Three lectures (= series of publications by the Prussian Institute . Vol. 12). Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2008, ISBN 978-3-933022-53-0 .
- (Ed.): Secret services, military and politics in Germany (= secret service history . Vol. 2). Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2008, ISBN 978-3-933022-55-4 .
- (Ed.): Police in Prussia in the 19th century . Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2011, ISBN 978-3-933022-66-0 .
- (Ed.): When the home became a stranger…. Escape and expulsion of the Germans from West Prussia. Articles and eyewitness accounts . Köster, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-89574-760-1 .
- (Ed.): Secret services in Germany. Affairs, operations, people (= secret service history . Vol. 4). Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2012, ISBN 978-3-933022-78-3 .
- No case of “ritual blood extraction” - the criminal trials against the rabbinate candidate Max Bernstein in Breslau 1889/90 and their sexual psychological background. In: Specialized prose research - Crossing borders. Volume 8/9, 2012/2013 (2014), pp. 483-516.
- (Ed.): Spies, Fraudsters, Secret Operations. Case studies and documents from 275 years of secret service history (= Secret Intelligence Services . Vol. 10). Köster, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-89574-890-5 .
- (Red.): Prussia as a lesson for our present. Essays on Prussian history (= series of publications by the Prussian Institute . Vol. 14). Ludwigsfelder Verlagshaus, Ludwigsfelde 2015, ISBN 978-3-933022-77-6 .
- Literature by and about Jürgen W. Schmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Jürgen W. Schmidt in the German Digital Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Jürgen W. Schmidt at perlentaucher.de
- ↑ Doctorates in the academic year 2003/04 , fernuni-hagen.de, accessed on April 11, 2017.
- ^ Michael Epkenhans : Jürgen W. Schmidt: Against Russia and France. The German military secret service 1890–1914 . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , January 13, 2007, No. 11, p. 8; Markus Pöhlmann : Jürgen W. Schmidt, Against Russia and France. The German military secret service 1890–1914 . In: Military History Journal 66 (2007) 1, pp. 183–185.
- ^ Esther-Beate Körber : Report on the conference of the Working Group on Prussian History from October 11th to 13th, 2004 in the Evangelical Academy Hofgeismar . In: Militärgeschichtliche Zeitschrift 64 (2005) 2, pp. 507-511, here: p. 510.
- ↑ Ina Czub : “› Struggle for Knowledge ‹- Espionage, Secrecy and Public Relations between the Nation State and Globalization (1870–1940)«. Conference of the Department "Knowledge - Culture - Transformation" and the Historical Institute of the University of Rostock from November 14th to 15th, 2013 . In: Military History Journal 73 (2014) 1, pp. 101–127, here: p. 102.
|SURNAME||Schmidt, Jürgen W.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German officer and historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1958|