Markus Pöhlmann (* 1967 ) is a German historian . He works at the Center for Military History and Social Sciences of the Bundeswehr in Potsdam . His research focuses on German military history, the history of the intelligence services and the relationship between war and the media.
Pöhlmann studied history , English and communication studies at the University of Augsburg (MA, 1996), at the University College Galway (now the National University of Ireland, Galway ) and at the University of Bern . From 1997 to 1999 he was a research assistant at the Historical Institute of the University of Bern. In 2000 he started with Stig Förster with the dissertation War History and History Politics: The First World War. The official German military historiography 1914–1956 for Dr. phil. PhD. In 2002 he was awarded the Werner Hahlweg Prize for Military History and Defense Sciences (2nd prize) for his work. In 2016 he completed his habilitation at the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Potsdam.
From 2001 to 2006 he worked as an editor for the history magazine DAMALS . This was followed by an assistantship at the University of Bern and from 2007 to 2008 the Leverhulme Visiting Research Fellowship at the European Studies Research Institute at the University of Salford . From 2008 to 2012 he was a research assistant at the Military History Research Office (MGFA), and since 2013 at the Center for Military History and Social Sciences of the Bundeswehr (ZMSBw) in Potsdam. He is also editor of the military history magazine (MGZ) and the military history portal .
He is a member of the Center International de Recherche de l'Historial de la Grande Guerre in Péronne (France). Pöhlmann is the editor of several books and has published in historical journals such as Comparativ , Journal of Intelligence History , MGZ , Mittelweg 36 and Zeitschrift für Geschichtswwissenschaft . He was also the author of the NDB article on the Prussian generals Friedrich Sixt von Armin and Hermann von Stein as well as a contributor to the standard work on the First World War Encyclopedia First World War (2003).
Ralf Raths discussed the book The Tank and the Mechanization of War . He strongly recommended it. "This is a book that is scientifically very cleanly worked" with a detailed portion of further literature and sometimes very entertaining. Furthermore, the author manages to simplify complex issues in an understandable way. Weaknesses are the sometimes very technical language and the inadequate and possibly even wrong illumination of the term Blitzkrieg . Raths sees the depiction of the inter-war period as particularly valuable.
- with Stig Förster and Dierk Walter (eds.): Battles of world history. From Salamis to Sinai . CH Beck, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-406-48097-7 .
- War history and history politics. The First World War. The official German military historiography 1914–1956 (= war in history . Volume 12). Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2002, ISBN 3-506-74481-X .
- with Karin von Maur : The painter Hermann Stenner in the mirror of his correspondence. Letters 1909–1914 . Edited by Karin von Maur and the Hermann Stenner Circle of Friends. Prestel, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-7913-3731-9 .
- with Stig Förster and Dierk Walter (eds.): Warlords of world history. 22 historical portraits . CH Beck, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-406-54983-7 .
- with Günther Kronenbitter and Dierk Walter (eds.): Crew. Function and form of foreign military rule from antiquity to the 20th century (= war in history. Volume 28). Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2006, ISBN 3-506-71736-7 .
- The cross-border commuter. The poet Klabund as a propagandist and undercover agent in the First World War. In: Journal of History. 55, 2007, pp. 397-410.
- German Intelligence at War, 1914-1918. In: Journal of Intelligence History. 5, Winter 2005, pp. 25-54.
- with Winfried Heinemann (ed.): Monarchs and their military (= Potsdam writings on military history. Volume 10). MGFA, Potsdam 2010, ISBN 978-3-941571-07-5 .
- as publisher: German military journals in the 20th century (= Potsdam writings on military history. Volume 17). MGFA, Potsdam 2012, ISBN 978-3-941571-18-1 .
- with Harald Potempa and Thomas Vogel (eds.): The First World War 1914–1918. The German deployment into a warlike century . Bucher, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-7658-2033-5 .
- with Ulrike Ludwig and John Zimmermann (eds.): Honor and fulfillment of duty as codes of military virtues (= war in history. Volume 69). Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2014, ISBN 978-3-506-77312-8 .
- with Flavio Eichmann and Dierk Walter (eds.): Global power conflicts and wars. Festschrift for Stig Förster on his 65th birthday . Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2016, ISBN 978-3-506-78392-9 .
- The tank and the mechanization of war. A German History 1890–1945 (= Age of World Wars. Volume 14). Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2016, ISBN 978-3-506-78355-4 .
- It was just as if everything was going to burst. Augsburg in the bombing war , Munich 2019, ISBN 978-3-86222-282-7 (1st edition 1994).
- Literature by and about Markus Pöhlmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Markus Pöhlmann at perlentaucher.de
- Markus Pöhlmann at the Center for Military History and Social Sciences of the Bundeswehr
- Markus Pöhlmann at the Military History Working Group
- Article by Markus Pöhlmann in Stadtlexikon Augsburg (online)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German military historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1967|