Jan M. Broekman
Jan Maurits Broekman (born February 16, 1931 in Voorburg , Netherlands ) is a philosopher , legal scholar and social scientist . He has lived in Belgium since 1968 and works primarily at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Leuven , Belgium .
Live and act
Jan M. Broekman studied law and sociology at the University of Leiden and philosophy and psychiatry at the Georg-August University in Göttingen . There he did his doctorate in 1961 under Hermann Wein with the investigation "Factual and transcendental ego in Edmund Husserl ". From 1961 to 1966 Broekman was deputy director of the Haagse Sociale Academie, where he taught philosophy and sociology. From 1966 to 1968 he was assistant professor for contemporary aesthetics and philosophy at the Universiteit van Amsterdam . During these years he also taught aesthetics and philosophy at the academies for architecture in Amsterdam and Rotterdam and had fundamental discussions with architects. From 1968 until his retirement in 1996 Broekman was Professor of Contemporary Philosophy at the Institute of Philosophy and Professor of Legal Philosophy at the Faculty of Law at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. In 1971 he established the “Instituut voor Grondslagenonderzoek van het Recht” there. From 1988 to 1994 he was dean or pro-dean of the faculty.
Inspired by the series “Kolleg Philosophie” published by Verlag Karl Alber , he wrote his book “ Structuralism . Moscow-Prague-Paris ”. From 1977 he published the encyclopaedic series “Kolleg Rechtstheorie” at Alber, which he had designed with Meinolf Wewel . In 1979 his book “Law and Anthropology ” was published there , in which the image of man is seen as constitutive for law and thus a new definition of the relationship between legal dogmatics, legal theory and legal practice succeeds.
From 1975 to 1979 Broekman worked with Hans-Georg Gadamer , Ante Pažanin and Bernhard Waldenfels as co-director of the Inter-University Center in Dubrovnik ( Croatia ) on the project “ Phenomenology and Marxism ”. Four Suhrkamp volumes with this title emerged, two of them in Japanese (1982) and one in English (1984).
From 1980 to 1995 Broekman was, parallel to his legal philosophical endeavors, Associate Professor of Philosophy and Medical Ethics at the Medical Faculty of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam , where he lectured on the philosophy of medicine, supervised medical doctoral theses and developed a research center "Vakgroep Medische Filosofie". He chaired the “Stichting Psychiatrie en Filosofie” from 1985 to 1995. Two Dutch publications are related to this. When he retired in 1996, he reported in “Intertwinements of Law and Medicine” on parallels between law and medicine.
In 1993/94 he was a visiting professor at the Fernuniversität Hagen . In the early 1980s Broekman became a member of the foundation of the “Asociación Argentina de Filosofía del Derecho” in La Plata (Argentina) . Between 1983 and 1998 he gave numerous lectures at Argentine universities on bioethics , law and medicine . His book “Bioetica con Rasgos Juridicos”, published in 1998, and many articles in the journal “Jurisprudentia Argentina” from 1988 to 2003 bear witness to this.
Since his retirement in 1996, Broekman's academic work has been conducted almost exclusively in English. From 1998 to 2005, he held lectures on legal philosophy, bioethics and EU legal institutions as Visiting Professor of Law at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign (USA). There he wrote his book on "European Union Law". During these years, he and MH Foox founded the “IIS Institute” in New York to promote digitally supported educational programs, a topic on which he also published five studies.
In 2006 Broekman was appointed Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law at Pennsylvania State University , Dickinson School of Law. There he taught EU law and founded the “Roberta Kevelson Seminar on Law and Semiotics”, which he led until 2013. He published two issues in the International Journal of Legal Semiotics and five volumes in the series “The Semiotics of Law in Legal Education”, which he founded at Springer . His interest in the subject of »law and language« deepened here in the exploration of legal semiotics. The connection between developments of “significants” and studies on semiotic aspects was taken into account. A "SpringerBrief in Law" about Roberta Kevelson, with a new and complete Kevelson bibliography, will be published in 2018.
In 1996 two festschrifts were published, one in English and one in Dutch:
- Frank Fleerackers, Evert van Leeuwen and Bert van Roermund (Eds) “Law, Life and the Images of Man. Modes of Thought in Modern Legal Theory. Festschrift for Jan M. Broekman ”. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, 620 pp. ISBN 3-428-08765-8 .
- Frank Fleerackers (Ed) “Men en law. Essays tussen legal theory en legal internship. Liber Amicorum Jan M. Broekman “, Peeters, Leuven / Paris, 504 pp. ISBN 90-6831-896-9 .
Broekman has published more than 30 books and 500 academic articles on law and legal theory, philosophy of medicine , contemporary philosophy, semiotics , education, culture and politics in 9 languages including u. a. the following books:
- Phenomenology and egology. Factual and transcendental ego in Edmund Husserl . Phaenomenologica Vol. 12. Nijhoff, Den Haag 1963
- Structuralism: Moscow, Prague, Paris . College Philosophy. Alber, Freiburg i. Br./München 1971. ISBN 3-495-47235-5 ISBN 3-495-47235-5 (Dutch 1972, Spanish 1974, English 1974, Chinese 1980, extended Chinese edition 2003)
- Ed .: College of Legal Theory . 10 volumes. Alber, Freiburg i. Br./München 1977-1983
- Edited with B. Waldenfels and A. Pazanin: Phenomenology and Marxism . 4 volumes. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt a. M. 1977–1979 (Japanese 2 Vol. 1982, English 1 Vol. 1984)
- Law and anthropology . College of Legal Theory Vol. I, 3rd Alber, Freiburg i. Br./München 1979. ISBN 3-495-47405-6 (Dutch 1979, 3rd ed. 1991, Spanish 1993, French 1993)
- Article Philosophy of Law and Theory of Law in "Historical Dictionary of Philosophy", ed. by J. Ritter and K. Founder, Schwabe Verlag, Basel Vol. VIII, 1992
- Law, legal philosophies and legal theory . Kluwer 1993, ISBN 90-6321-829-X (Spanish 1997)
- Right en Taal . Preadvies Koninklijke Notariële Broederschap, Deventer 1979, ISBN 90-268-1102-0
- Mens en Mensbeeld van ons law . Acco Leuven / Amersfoort 1979, ISBN 90-334-1310-8
- Intertwinements of Law and Medicine . Leuven UP 1996 ISBN 90-6186-778-9
- Bioetica con Rasgos Juridicos . Madrid 1998 ISBN 84-88910-08-8
- A Philosophy of European Union Law. Positions in Legal Space and the Construction of a Juridical World Image. Peeters Leuven / Paris, 1999 ISBN 90-429-0728-2
- Right uit Woorden. Een Cultuurfilosofisch Weefsel . Larcier Brussel, 2004, ISBN 2-8044-1442-6
- The Virtual in E-Education. New York 2004, ISBN 1-4134-4939-5
- E-education and the Web . New York 2006, ISBN 978-0-595-39139-4
- Binding Words, Unfolding Selves . New York 2008, ISBN 978-0-595-52231-6
- Edited with Anne Wagner: Prospects of Legal Semiotics , Springer 2010, ISBN 978-90-481-9342-4
- Edited with Francis J. Mootz III: The Semiotics of Law in Legal Education, Springer 2011, ISBN 978-94-007-1340-6
- With Larry Catà Backer: Lawyers Making Meanings , Springer 2013, ISBN 978-94-007-5457-7
- Edited with Larry Catà Backer: Signs in Law - A Source Book , Springer 2015, ISBN 978-3-319-09836-4
- Meaning, Narrativity, and the Real , Springer 2016, ISBN 978-3-319-28174-2
- With Frank Fleerackers: Legal Conversation as Signifier. In: Elgar Studies in Legal Theory, Edward Elgar, UK, 2017. ISBN 978-1-78811-019-8
- Source: Universiteit van Amsterdam, 1012 WX Amsterdam, Nld.
- Source: Academie van Bouwkunst, (AKH) 1011 PG Amsterdam, Nld.
- Source: Rotterdamse Academie van Bouwkunst, 3089 TB Rotterdam, Nld
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Rechtsgeleerdheid . Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- The encyclopaedic series conceived with Meinolf Wewel was supposed to include around 30 monographs, but could not be carried out after ten volumes because legal theory did not gain the expected importance when the law course was reorganized.
- Ed. With Harald Feldmann and Philip van Haute: Ziektebeelden. Peeters Leuven / Paris 1993.
- With Charles FA Milders, Willen van Tilburg and Aart JA van Soest: Schizophrenia. Het Raadsel Opgelost? Peeters Leuven / Paris 1997.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign College of Law, Ill. USA
- IIS - Improving Institutional Skills & IIS Publishing Company, New York, USA
- Penn State Law, Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law, University Park PA 16802, USA
- ed. with William A. Pencak: IJSL Special Issue: Lawyers Making Meaning. The Roberta Kevelson Seminar on Law and Semiotics at Penn State University's Dickinson School of Law, in: International Journal for the Semioics of Law, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2009, p. 1 - 122.
|SURNAME||Broekman, Jan M.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Broekman, Jan Maurits|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch philosopher, legal scholar and social scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 16, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Voorburg ( Netherlands )|