Pennsylvania State University
|Pennsylvania State University|
|motto||Making Life Better|
|place||State College , Pennsylvania , United States|
|president||Rodney A. Erickson|
|Employee||26,592 (2011, including temporary and contract work)|
|Annual budget||US $ 278,967 thousand (government grant)|
|Foundation assets||US $ 4.25 billion|
|University sports||Nittany Lions ( Big Ten Conference )|
|Networks||Association of American Universities|
The Pennsylvania State University (also State University of Pennsylvania or Penn State , PSU ) is one of the oldest state universities of the United States . In total, over 86,000 students are enrolled in the PSU's 24 locations, including 45,000 on the main campus and administrative headquarters at University Park , 33,000 on the Commonwealth campuses , 6,000 at the PA College of Tech , 629 at the Dickinson School of Law and 787 at the Hershey Medical Center . The main campus is considered one of the most beautiful in the United States.
The university is one of the best state universities in the USA, a so-called Public Ivy , and is a member of the Association of American Universities , an association of leading research-intensive North American universities that has existed since 1900.
The PSU sports teams are the Nittany Lions . The university is a member of the Big Ten Conference .
The university was founded as a college of the Pennsylvania State Agricultural Society in 1855. In 1882 engineering was added to the agricultural courses, making the PSU one of the ten largest engineering colleges in the USA. In 1936 over 5,000 students were enrolled and President Ralph Hetzel established additional campus areas in Pennsylvania to give those who could not leave their home region an opportunity to study. Under the presidency of Milton Eisenhower , the brother of the then US President Dwight D. Eisenhower , since 1953 the university got its current name and continued to grow; In 1970 over 40,000 students were enrolled. In 1987 the Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport became part of the PSU, and in 1997 also the Dickinson School of Law .
The PSU is headed by a President , who is supported in the President's Council by 12 Vice Presidents, a Provost and Deputy, the Chief Executive Officer of the medical faculty and a Director for the Board of Trustees . The university management is elected and controlled by the Board of Trustees , which includes ex officio members and members appointed by the governor , as well as alumni , agricultural societies and commercial enterprises.
The PSU is divided into 13 colleges and four schools , plus other central facilities.
- College of Agricultural Sciences ( Agricultural Sciences )
- College of Arts and Architecture ( art and architecture )
- Smeal College of Business ( Economics )
- College of Communications ( Telecommunications )
- College of Earth and Mineral Sciences ( Mineralogy )
- College of Education ( Education )
- College of Engineering ( Engineering )
- College of Health and Human Development ( Health Sciences )
- College of Information Sciences and Technology ( Information Technology )
- College of the Liberal Arts
- College of Medicine ( Medicine )
- Eberly College of Science ( Natural Science )
- Schreyer Honors College
- Graduate school
- School of International Affairs ( International Relations )
- School of Law ( Law )
- School of Nursing ( Health and Nursing )
The PSU campus areas are spread across Pennsylvania:
- Main Campus University Park ( University Park )
- Commonwealth Campus:
- Penn State Abington
- Penn State Altoona
- Penn State Berks
- Penn State Beaver
- Penn State Delaware County
- Penn State DuBois
- Penn State Erie , The Behrend College
- Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus
- Penn State Harrisburg
- Penn State Hazleton
- Penn State Lehigh Valley
- Penn State McKeesport
- Penn State Mont Alto
- Penn State New Kensington
- Penn State Schuylkill County
- Penn State Shenango
- Penn State Wilkes-Barre
- Penn State Worthington Scranton
- Penn State York
- Special Mission Campus:
- Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center and College of Medicine
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
- The Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University
- Penn State World Campus - Online Education
- John Aniston , actor
- Saquon Barkley , American football player
- Paul Berg , chemist, Nobel Prize winner 1980
- William Binney , former National Security Agency (NSA) cryptanalyst and whistleblower
- Guion Stewart Bluford , astronaut
- Roscoe O. Brady , biochemist
- Carmen Finestra , film producer and actress
- Jonathan Frakes , actor and director
- Brian Gratz , ice hockey player, coach and official
- Jack Ham , American football player
- John Michael Krois , philosopher
- Steve McCurry , photojournalist
- Lenny Moore , American football player
- David Morrell , writer
- J. Bonnie Newman , university professor and politician
- Mike Munchak , American football player
- Michael Pearson , writer and university professor
- Maury Schleicher , American football player
- William E. Ward , General in the US Army
- Leon J. Stout, Craig Zabel, Gabriel Welsh: This Is Penn State: An Insider's Guide to the University Park Campus. Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park 2005, ISBN 0-271-02720-7 .
- Office of the President , accessed August 5, 2012.
- Fall to Fall Enrollment Comparison 2011 and 2010 , accessed on August 5, 2012.
- Full-Time and Part-Time Faculty, Staff & Student By Classification Fall 2011 , accessed on August 5, 2012.
- The Pennsylvania Statte University 2012-13 Operating Budget (pdf; 3.0 MB), accessed on August 5, 2012 (English).
- A Brief Penn State History , accessed August 5, 2012.
- Members of the President's Council , accessed August 5, 2012.
- Current Membership , accessed on August 5, 2012.
- Campuses and Colleges , accessed on August 5, 2012 (English).
- William E. Binney: Declaration of William E. Binney in support of plaintiffs 'motion for partial summary judgment rejecting the government defendants' state secret defense ( English , PDF; 399 kB) publicintellegnce.net. P. 10. September 28, 2012. Retrieved June 29, 2013.