Jan Hendrik Wolkers (born October 26, 1925 in Oegstgeest , † October 19, 2007 in Westermient on Texel ) was a Dutch writer and artist. For post-war Dutch literature , he was referred to as one of De Grote Vier (The Big Four). De Grote Vier consist of Willem Frederik Hermans , Harry Mulisch , Gerard Reve and Jan Wolkers.
Wolkers has lived in Westermient on the island of Texel since 1980. His art objects have often been victims of vandalism . Examples of this are the Auschwitz Monument in Amsterdam and the monument on the dike near Ceres on Texel. The fact that Wolkers worked a lot with glass probably played a role. In response to the destruction of the monument near Ceres in 2003, Wolkers announced that he would use less glass and more steel instead. The Jac. P. Thijsse monument in a pond in Den Burg on Texel actually contains more steel, even if glass still takes up a lot of space in the work of art.
His best-known literary works in Germany are the novel Terug naar Oegstgeest , which was filmed by Theo van Gogh , as well as the novels De Kus and Turks Fruit (German: Turkish fruits ), whose film adaptation by Paul Verhoeven was nominated for an Oscar in 1973 and was nominated for Best in 1999 Dutch Film of the Century was awarded.
- Terug naar Oegstgeest (novel, 1st edition 1965) ISBN 90-290-9065-0 , ISBN 90-290-7704-2 , ISBN 978-90-290-8307-2
- Back to Oegstgeest ( Terug naar Oegstgeest , Ger .) 1st German edition 1979 ISBN 3-88097-126-9 , Tb.-Ausg. 1981 ISBN 3-499-14787-4
- Turks fruit (Roman, 1st edition 1969) ISBN 9789460926815 . German by Siegfried Mrotzek 1975 under the title Turkish fruits ; New translation in 2012 by Rosemarie Still under the title Turkish Honey , Alexander Verlag Berlin, ISBN 978-3-89581-279-8
- Zomerhitte (novel, 2005) (2007/2008 filmed with Sophie Hilbrand and Waldemar Torenstra in the leading roles) ( Boekenweek present , 2005)
- American short (novel). German by Rosemarie Still, Alexander Verlag Berlin, ISBN 978-3-89581-421-1
- Literature by and about Jan Wolkers in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jan Wolkers in the Internet Movie Database (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wolkers, Jan Hendrik (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch writer and artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 26, 1925|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oegstgeest|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 19, 2007|
|Place of death||Westermient on Texel|