Jean Baptiste Bory de Saint-Vincent
Jean Baptiste Georges Geneviève Marcellin Bory de Saint-Vincent (born July 6, 1780 in Agen , † December 22, 1846 in Paris ) was a French naturalist , botanist and colonel. Its official botanical author abbreviation is " Bory ". His very long name has been shortened in various ways, such as Jean Baptiste Bory de Saint-Vincent , Jean Baptiste Marcellin or Jean Baptiste George Marie .
Live and act
Bory was born in Agen . In 1787 the family moved with him to Bordeaux .
After the death of his father, Bory de Saint-Vincent de Géraud, he joined the military in 1799. His mother was the Magdeleine Journu. In September 1800 he married Anne-Charlotte Delacroix de la Thébaudais. From the marriage two daughters Augustine Clotilde Marie Bory de Saint-Vincent (1801-1850) and Hyppolyte Clotilde Claudine Bory de Saint-Vincent (1803-1856) emerged. His wife died in 1823. His second wife was Maria Gros. With her he had two other children, Isabelle Atanagilde Bory de Saint-Vincent and Jeanne Geneviève Cassilda Bory de Saint-Vincent.
Bory embarked in October 1800 to participate as a natural historian in the world expedition of Nicolas Baudin from 1800 to 1804. Bory left the ship in Mauritius in March 1801. He spent two years exploring Réunion and other islands. On October 25, 1801, he experienced an eruption of the Piton de la Fournaise volcano on Réunion. On July 11, 1802, he returned to metropolitan France.
Bory rejoined the army after returning home. He was at the Battle of Ulm and the Battle of Austerlitz . In 1808 he went to Spain with Marshal Nicolas-Jean de Dieu Soult . After the end of Napoleon's rule, he was forced into five years of exile. He was only able to return to Paris in 1820 .
In 1829 he was appointed head of a scientific expedition to the Peloponnese . In 1839 he went on a research trip to Algeria .
Bory was editor of the "Dictionnaire classique d'histoire naturelle" (1822-1831).
When La Société Cuvierienne was founded in 1838 , he was one of the 140 founding members of the society. Since 1808 he was a member of the Académie des sciences .
The genus Borya of the olive plant family (Oleaceae) was named after him.
- Essai sur les Iles fortunées et l'antique Atlantide, ou précis de l'histoire générale de l'archipel des Canaries . Paris 1803.
- Voyage dans les quatre principales îles des mers d'Afrique . Paris 1804 (3 volumes).
- Annales des sciences physiques . (8 volumes; 1819–21).
- Voyage basement, ou description du plateau de Saint-Pierre de Maestricht et de ses vastes cryptes . Paris 1821.
- Expédition scientifique de Morée . Paris and Strasbourg 1832 ( archive.org ).
- Together with Chaubard: Nouvelle flore du Péloponnèse et des Cyclades . Paris 1838.
- L'homme, essai zoologique sur le genre humain . 2nd Edition. Paris 1827 (2 volumes).
- Robert Zander : Zander concise dictionary of plant names. Edited by Fritz Encke , Günther Buchheim, Siegmund Seybold . 13th, revised and expanded edition. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart 1984, ISBN 3-8001-5042-5 .
- Société Cuvierienne: List of the Premiers Fondateurs de La Société Cuvierienne, Association universelle pour l'avancement de la Zoologie, de L'Anatomie comparée et de la Palaeontologie . In: Revue Zoologique par La Société Cuvierienne . tape 1 , 1838, p. 189-192 ( biodiversitylibrary.org ).
- Literature by and about Jean Baptiste Bory de Saint-Vincent in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Jean Baptiste Bory de Saint-Vincent at the IPNI
- ↑ Genealogy of the parents and siblings ( Memento of the original from November 1, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Genealogy of the first marriage ( Memento of the original dated November 1, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Genealogy of the second marriage ( Memento of the original dated November 1, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ^ Société Cuvierienne, p. 189.
- ^ Directory of members since 1666: letter B. Académie des sciences, accessed on September 23, 2019 (French).
- ↑ Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names . Extended Edition. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin, Free University Berlin Berlin 2018. 
|SURNAME||Bory de Saint-Vincent, Jean Baptiste|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bory de Saint-Vincent, Jean Baptiste Georges Geneviève Marcellin|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French naturalist, botanist and colonel|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 6, 1780|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Agen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 22, 1846|
|Place of death||Paris|