Johannes Garcaeus the Younger
Born as the son of Johannes Garcaeus the Elder , Garcaeus attended the scholarly school of the Johanneum in Hamburg and studied first at the University of Rostock from 1547 and later at the University of Wittenberg . There he made his acquaintance primarily with Philipp Melanchthon and did mathematics in his philosophical training, especially with Caspar Peucer . After he had obtained the academic degree of Magister in 1550 , he worked from 1551 to 1553 as a teacher in Leitmeritz(Bohemia). Then he returned to Wittenberg as a tutor for two students, where he published his first work, a sermon on angels, in 1555. In the same year he went to the University of Greifswald on a scholarship , where he was appointed professor at the Faculty of Philosophy on the recommendation of Melanchthon in 1556 .
Around 1559 he took over a theological professorship in Greifswald, combined with the office of pastor at the St. Jacobi Church , and in 1560 also the deanery of the philosophical faculty. In 1561 he went to the St. Katharinen Church of the Neustadt in Brandenburg an der Havel as pastor and superintendent . After he had also given lectures there, he received his doctorate in theology on May 29, 1570 in Wittenberg , but died after a short time at the age of 43.
A large number of writings by him have become known which deal mainly with theological questions and have also been translated into various languages. Above all his astrological writings stood out, which made him famous in certain circles. Meteorological writings are also known from him.
- Tres Tractatus de Tempore, Wittenberg 1563–65
- De erigentis Figuris caeli, veräsicantionibus, revolutionibus & directionibus, 1556
- Metrovulogiam, 1568
- Harmonia de ratione institutionis scholasticae, 1565, 1588
- Methodus astrologiae, Basel 1570, 1576
- Garcaeus, Joann. In: Johann Heinrich Zedler : Large complete universal lexicon of all sciences and arts . Volume 10, Leipzig 1735, column 286.
- Carl Bertheau: Garcaeus, Johann the Younger . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 8, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1878, p. 370 f.
- Lothar Noack, Jürgen Splett: Bio Bibliographies. Brandenburg scholars of the early modern period. Berlin-Cölln 1640–1688. de Gruyter, Berlin 1997, pp. 136-150. ISBN 3-05-002840-8 .
|SURNAME||Garcaeus, John the Younger|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gharcaeus, Johann; Gartzcius, Johann; Gartzius, Johann; Gartzen, Johann; Gartz, Johann|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Lutheran theologian and astrologer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 13, 1530|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wittenberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 22, 1574|
|Place of death||Brandenburg on the Havel|