Jonathan Michael Borwein (born May 20, 1951 in St. Andrews in Scotland , † August 2, 2016 in London , Ontario ) was a Canadian mathematician. Together with his brother Peter Borwein and David Bailey, he was one of the most prominent exponents of experimental mathematics, that is, of finding new sentences through computer-algebraic and numerical calculations.
Borwein studied on a Rhodes Scholarship at Jesus College, Oxford , where he received his doctorate in 1974. He was then from 1974 to 1991 at Dalhousie University , apart from the period 1980 to 1982 at Carnegie Mellon University , 1991 to 1993 at the University of Waterloo and since 1993 professor at Simon Fraser University . There he was founding director of the Center for Experimental and Constructive Mathematics.
Together with his brother Peter Borwein and Simon Plouffe , he set up the Inverse Symbolic Calculator , an online number checker, at the end of the 1990s .
In 1993 he received the Chauvenet Prize . In 1994 he became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and was a member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences . He was a fellow of the American Mathematical Society . In 1999 he received an honorary doctorate in Limoges . From 2000 to 2002 he was President of the Canadian Mathematical Society. He served on the Council of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
In 1995 he co-founded a software company for interactive software for math teaching in schools and universities.
Borwein was editor of the Springer Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics and Technology .
- with John Lennart Berggren , Peter Borwein: Pi - a Source Book. Springer, New York 1997, 3rd edition 2004, ISBN 0-387-20571-3 .
- Convex analysis and nonlinear optimization. Springer, New York 2nd edition 2006, ISBN 0-387-29570-4 .
- Experimental mathematics in action. AKPeters 2007.
- Techniques of Variational Analysis. Springer, New York 2005, ISBN 0-387-24298-8 .
- with Bailey: Mathematics by experiment: Plausible Reasoning in the 21st Century. Peters, Natick 2003, 2nd edition 2008, ISBN 978-1-568-81442-1 .
- with Bailey: Experimentation in Mathematics: Computational Paths to Discovery. Peters, Natick 2003, ISBN 1-56881-136-5 .
- with Peter Borwein: A Dictionary of Real Numbers. First 1990, International Thompson Publishing, ISBN 0-534-12840-8 .
- with E. Borowski: Dictionary of Mathematics. First 1989, Unwin Hyman 2002, ISBN 0-00-434347-6 .
- with Peter Borwein: Pi and the AGM - a study of analytic number theory and computational complexity. Wiley, New York 1987, ISBN 0-471-83138-7 .
- with Matthew Skerritt: An introduction to mathematical computing with Maples , Springer 2011
- with Matthew Skerritt: An introduction to mathematical computing with Mathematica , Springer 2011
- Jonathan Borwein in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Posthumous Homepage , accessed February 14, 2017
- Former homepage ( Memento from July 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Inverse Symbolic Calculator
- Math Drudge obituary , Jonathan M. Borwein, former CMS President, dies at 65 . Canadian Mathematical Society press release
- John Conway , Richard K. Guy : Zahlenzauber (The Book of Numbers) . 1st edition. Birkhäuser, 1997, ISBN 3-7643-5244-2 , p. 30-31 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Borwein, Jonathan Michael|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 20, 1951|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||St. Andrews , Scotland|
|DATE OF DEATH||2nd August 2016|
|Place of death||London , Ontario|