Oppenheimer studied film at Harvard University and the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London . In several of his documentaries he deals with the aftermath of the massacre in Indonesia in the mid-1960s. In The Act of Killing, for example, former members of the killing squads re-enact their deeds. The film premiered at the Telluride Film Festival and was subsequently shown in Toronto and at the Berlinale . Oppenheimer was able to win Werner Herzog and Errol Morris as co-producers . For safety reasons, the majority of the crew members are not named in the credits.
The subsequent film The Look of Silence sheds light on the consequences of the military coup from the perspective of the victims. In 2014 he was awarded the Grand Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival . At the 2016 Academy Awards , he and Signe Byrge Sørensen were nominated for an Oscar in the Best Documentary category for their work on the film . The two had previously been nominated for this award in 2014 for their work on The Act of Killing .
In 2016 he was appointed to the competition jury of the 73rd Venice International Film Festival .
In addition to his work as a filmmaker, Joshua Oppenheimer is also a scientist and involved in the “Genocide and Genre” project of the British Arts & Humanities Research Council .
- 1997: These Places We've Learned to Call Home (short film)
- 1998: The Entire History of the Louisiana Purchase
- 2003: The Globalization Tapes (documentary, with Christine Cynn)
- 2012: The Act of Killing (documentary, with Christine Cynn)
- 2014: The Look of Silence (documentary)
- 1998: Golden Hugo for Best Experimental Short Film for The Entire History of the Louisiana Purchase
- 2013: Panorama Audience Award for Best Documentary for The Act of Killing
- 2013: Prize of the Ecumenical Jury for the best film in the Panorama section for The Act of Killing
- 2015: Peace Film Prize for The Look of Silence
- 2013: Best Documentary for The Act of Killing
- 2014: Grand Jury Prize for The Look of Silence
- 2014: FIPRESCI Prize for the best film in the competition for The Look of Silence
- 2015: Audience Award of the 9th International Human Rights Film Festival for The Look of Silence
- 2016: The Ridenhour Documentary Film Prize for The Look of Silence
In 2014 Oppenheimer received a MacArthur Fellowship .
- Joshua Oppenheimer in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Official website of the film the act of killing (English)
- Official website of the film The Look of Silence (English)
- Henry Barnes: Joshua Oppenheimer: 'You celebrate mass killing so you don't have to look yourself in the mirror' The Guardian , June 20, 2013, accessed November 12, 2013
- Joshua Oppenheimer on the website of the film The Act of Killing
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Oppenheimer, Joshua Lincoln|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||23rd September 1974|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Austin , Texas , Texas , United States|