Live and act
Julius Voegtli painted and drew as a teenager. From the few surviving visual evidence of this period, it can be concluded that Voegtli felt artistically realism in the early days . This makes the choice of motif clear, which runs through the entire early work.
Voegtli pursued a degree at the Munich Academy . Between 1900 and 1928 he earned his living as a decorative painter . He was co-owner of a painting company. He created frescoes for public buildings and churches.
From the 1920s onwards, his name was associated with the local politics of the city of Biel . After 1928 he held several public offices there that had to do with infrastructure planning and the city's transport operations .
After his time at the academy, the landscape became an independent genre within Julius Voegtli's work, as did still life . Portraits are strongly represented in his work. Many of those portrayed are people who have been shaped by rural life. Spahi portraits were created in the 1940s .
Even during his lifetime there was no reception of his work, be it through sponsorship, exhibitions or academic research. Some of his works are now in public ownership, for example in the collection of the Biel Museum Schwab / Museum Neuhaus .
In addition to painting, Julius Voegtli was also active as a writer and published several short stories. He was also popular as a reader of his own and others' stories.
So far, records of his life and work have largely been omitted and the articles or obituaries that appeared about him only marginally deal with his artistic work, to which he emphatically refers in his few personal letters that have survived.
- January 10 to March 31, 2020: Hong Art Museum, Chongqing (China)
- November 16, 2018 to January 13, 2019: Mark Rothko Museum, Daugavpils (Latvia)
- December 16, 2017 to January 15, 2018: Dounan Art Museum in Kunming (China)
- November 1931: Galerie Benador, Biel
- December 11-28, 1910: Exhibition by the Biel Art Association. ( Group exhibition by Abraham Fürst, Ferdinand Hodler , Hermann Hubacher and Julius Vögtli) http://www.sikart.ch
- Website about Julius Voegtli
- Julius Voegtli. In: Sikart
- A Swiss Painter Comes to Light. In: MIR , October 16, 2018
- Entry in the register of the Academy of Fine Arts Munich, vol. 3
- Photo: Julius Voegtli (Julius Vögtli) in the Biel municipal council, 1925
- Art collection of the city of Biel
- J. Voegtli - Das Buch https://www.julius-voegtli.ch/das-buch (The copyright for all texts, PDF files and graphic elements lies with Hans Vögtli and is protected by copyright. The links to these pages as well as the Quoting stating the source (”Source / Copyright: julius-voegtli.ch) is permitted).
- Exhibition by the Biel Art Association
- Group picture of the Biel City Council (3rd from left: Julius Vögtli)
- Guido Müller : Obituary ( Memento of the original dated December 30, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. in on Julius Voegtli website, accessed December 30, 2016.
- exhibitions by Julius Voegtli:  ; last viewed on April 28, 2020
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vögtli, Julius|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 29, 1879|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Malters|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 21, 1944|