Karl W. Haltiner
Karl W. Haltiner (born September 3, 1946 in Lucerne ; legal resident in Altstätten ) is a Swiss sociologist with a focus on military sociologist . He is a retired titular professor in the Department of Humanities, Social and Political Sciences at ETH Zurich .
Haltiner studied on the second chance 1974-1979 Economics and Sociology at the University of Bern . He then worked for several years as an assistant at the Institute for Sociology there. He worked u. a. in the national research project " Security Policy " ( NRP 11). In the 1980s he was repeatedly in the USA for research purposes . In 1985 he was at Walter Rüegg at the Law and Economics Faculty of the University of Bern with the sociological dissertation Social legitimacy and participatory behavior in the Militia Military District of Switzerland to Dr. rer. pole. PhD.
From 1985 to 1990 he was a lecturer in economics and sociology at the HTL Brugg-Windisch (today: University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland - Campus Brugg-Windisch). In 1987 he also became a lecturer in military sociology at the Department of Military Sciences at ETH Zurich and in 1990 full-time lecturer at the Military Academy at ETH Zurich (MILAK). In 2001 he became adjunct professor . In 2011 he retired from the Department of Humanities, Social and Political Sciences.
From 1996 to 1998 he was Chairman of the European Research Group on Military and Society (ERGOMAS). In addition, he was President of the Swiss Working Group on the Military and Social Sciences (SAMS). He is a board member of the Geneva Center for Security Policy (GCSP) and a member of the Advisory Board of the Geneva Center for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF).
Haltiner published several specialist articles. From 1999 to 2008 he was co-editor of the annual security survey series published by the Military Academy at ETH Zurich and the Center for Security Studies. He was also Scientific Director of the Federal Youth Surveys, ch-x of the Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport .
- Militia army - citizen model or tarnished ideal? A sociological study of the effects of the change in value on the relationship between society and the army in Switzerland . Huber, Frauenfeld 1985, ISBN 3-7193-0960-6 (book trade edition of the dissertation).
- (Ed. With Andreas Kühner): Conscription and militia - the end of an era? The European change in armed forces and the Swiss militia (= military and social sciences . Volume 25). Nomos, Baden-Baden 1999, ISBN 3-7890-6104-2 .
- (Ed. With Paul Klein ): Europe's armies in transition (= military and social sciences . Volume 29). Nomos, Baden-Baden 2002, ISBN 3-7890-8142-6 .
- (Ed. With Hans Born, Marjan Malesic): Renaissance of democratic control of armed forces in contemporary societies (= military and social sciences . Volume 36). Nomos, Baden-Baden 2004, ISBN 3-8329-0659-2 .
- (Ed. With Paul Klein): Multinationality as a challenge for the armed forces (= military and social sciences . Volume 37). Nomos, Baden-Baden 2004, ISBN 3-8329-0778-5 .
- (Ed. With Franz Kernic , Paul Klein): The European armed forces in transition. A comparative analysis . Lang, Frankfurt am Main a. a. 2005, ISBN 3-631-53366-7 .
- (Ed. With Hans Born, Marina Caparini, Jürgen Kuhlmann): Civil-Military Relations in Europe. Learning from crisis and institutional change (= Cass military studies ). Routledge, New York et al. a. 2006, ISBN 0-415-38540-7.
- (Ed. With Gerhard Kümmel ): Why armies? - Europe's armed forces face new tasks (= military and social sciences . Volume 41). Nomos, Baden-Baden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8329-3558-0 .
- Changing values and chances in life. A trend study on the life, education, work and political orientations of young adults in Switzerland (= Swiss youth surveys: Scientific series . Volume 19). Rüegger, Zurich a. a. 2008, ISBN 978-3-7253-0909-2 .
- (Ed. With Fridolin Stähli, Peter Gros): Switzerland - from special cases to normal cases ?. A country in an identity crisis . Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Zurich 2016, ISBN 978-3-03810-202-1 .
- Literature by and about Karl W. Haltiner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Karl W. Haltiner in the German Digital Library
- Search for Karl W. Haltiner in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Short biography and reviews of works by Karl W. Haltiner at perlentaucher.de
- Karl W. Haltiner at the ETH Zurich
|SURNAME||Haltiner, Karl W.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss sociologist with a focus on military sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 3, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lucerne|