Carter comes from a musical family; his father, violist and conductor of the Vermont State Symphony Orchestra , gave him cello , bassoon and composition lessons at an early age . After initially working as a guitarist in country bands , he switched to bass in 1959 and attended Berklee College of Music from 1960 to 1964 . He also played with Herb Pomeroy , Don Cherry , Karl Berger , Hal Galper , Sam Rivers and Keith Jarrett , as well as in the house band of the Lennie's on the Turnpike club near Boston. Together with Mike Nock and Paul Motian , he accompanied musicians such as Booker Ervin , Zoot Sims , Phil Woods and Charlie Mariano before moving to New York City in the mid-1960s .
Working with the pianist Lowell Davidson , he came into the environment of the Jazz Composer's Orchestra ; he also worked with Gil Evans and with Paul Bley ("Touching" 1965), with whom he toured Europe. In 1970 Carter settled in Paris and played with Gato Barbieri , Archie Shepp , Noah Howard , Roswell Rudd , John Tchicai , Robin Kenyatta and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble . For a longer period from 1970 to 1983 he belonged to the group of Steve Lacy ("Troubles", 1979; "Regeneration", 1982). He was also a member of a trio with Takahasi Kako and Oliver Johnson, Tom van der Geld's “Children at Play”, the Trio Detail and the Theo Jörgensmann / Petras-Vyšniauskas- Quintet. He founded his own “String Trio” (first with Carlos Zingaro , later with Albrecht Maurer ; Willisau Suites , 1984, Intersections , 2004–2005) and also works with a second trio, Voyage . He also took part in projects by Billy Bang , Andrea Centazzo , Itaru Oki , Gianni Lenoci and Eckard Koltermann , among others . The musician, who lives in the south of France, also composes film music .
- Beauvais Cathedral (Emanem, 1974) with Mikala Marcus , Richard Marechin , Carlos Zingaro
- Quintessence " Spontaneous Music Ensemble " (Emanem, 1986)
- The Juillaguet Collection (Emanem, 1996) with Albrecht Maurer
- The Willisau Suites (Emanem, 1997)
- Intersections (Emanem, 2004/2005) with Kent Carter String Trio
- Rivière Composers Pool , Summer Works 2009 (Emanem, 2010; 3CD box) with Theo Jörgensmann, Albrecht Maurer, Etienne Rolin .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 1: A – L (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16512). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek near Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16512-0 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American bassist and cellist of modern jazz and creative jazz|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 12, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hanover, New Hampshire|