Live and act
Sims grew up in a musical family, his older brother being trombonist Ray Sims . He himself learned to play the drums and clarinet, and at the age of thirteen he switched to the tenor saxophone. He made his first professional appearances at the age of fifteen as a member of the Bobby Sherwood Orchestra. In 1943 he became a member of Benny Goodman's Big Band. In 1944 he made recordings with Joe Bushkin .
After serving in the Air Force, he worked again with Benny Goodman from 1946-47. He became famous as a member of Woody Herman's Four Brothers Band (First Herd) between 1947 and 1949. He worked with Buddy Rich's Big Band, with Roy Eldridge ( Roy Eldridge and His Little Jazz Vol. 1 ), Artie Shaw , Chubby Jackson , Elliot Lawrence and Stan Kenton . Since 1954 he made recordings with Gerry Mulligan and Jack Sheldon (at Jazz West ), in the early 1960s he was the star soloist in his Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band . His rehearsals in the New York Jazz Loft with the drummer Ronnie Free and the pianist Bill Potts in 1960 were captured by the photographer W. Eugene Smith in image and sound documents, which were published in 2009 in the Jazz Loft Project . In 1962 he took part in Benny Goodman's tour to the Soviet Union .
In addition, Sims led several bands of his own over the years, either alone or together with his friend Al Cohn . He played mostly in the cool jazz idiom. His nickname "Zoot" was later used on television for a saxophone-playing muppet .
- Zoot Sims et Henri Renaud (Emarcy, 1952–56) with Bernard Peiffer , Jimmy Gourley , Jean-Louis Viale
- Choice (1954, 1959) with Bobby Brookmeyer , Red Mitchell and Larry Bunker as well as Russ Freeman , Billy Bean , Monty Budwig , Mel Lewis and Jim Hall
- Zoot (1956) with John Williams , Gus Johnson and Knobby Totah
- Zoot! (1956) with Nick Travis , George Handy , Wilbur Ware , Osie Johnson
- Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (1956) with Jutta Hipp , Jerry Lloyd , Ahmed Abdul-Malik , Ed Thigpen
- Tenor Conclave (Riverside, 1956) with Hank Mobley , Al Cohn , John Coltrane , Red Garland , Paul Chambers and Art Taylor
- Together Again! (1957) with Al Cohn, Herbie Steward , Serge Chaloff , Elliot Lawrence , Burgher Jones and Don Lamond
- A Night at the Half Note (1959) with Al Cohn, Mose Allison , Paul Motian , Nabil Totah and Phil Woods
- Either Way (1959–60) with Al Cohn, Cecil "Kid Haffey" Collier, Bill Crow , Gus Johnson and Mose Allison
- You'n Me (1960) with Al Cohn, Mose Allison , Major Holley and Osie Johnson
- Down Home (1960) with Dave McKenna , George Tucker , and Dannie Richmond
- Otra Vez (Mainstream, 1964) with Jim Hall, Jimmy Raney , Steve Swallow , Osie Johnson
- Joe Venuti and Zoot Sims ( Chiaroscuro , 1974) with Dick Wellstood , George Duvivier , Cliff Leeman
- Joe Venuti and Zoot Sims Vol. 2 (Chiaroscuro, 1975) with John Bunch , Milt Hinton , Bobby Rosengarden , Spigal Wilcox
- Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers (1975) with Oscar Peterson , Joe Pass , George Mraz and Grady Tate
- Basie & Zoot ( Pablo , 1975) with Count Basie , John Heard , Louis Bellson
- Hawthorne Nights (Pablo, 1976) with Richie Kamuca , Jerome Richardson , Frank Rosolino , Snooky Young , Ross Tompkins , Monty Budwig, Nick Ceroli , Bill Holman arr. & Cond.
- Soprano Sax (1976) with Ray Bryant , George Mraz and Grady Tate
- If I'm Lucky (1977) with Jimmy Rowles , George Mraz and Mousey Alexander
- Just Friends (Pablo, 1978) with Sweets Edison , Roger Kellaway , John Heard and Jimmy Smith dm
- Warm Tenor (Pablo, 1978) with Jimmy Rowles, George Mraz and Mousey Alexander
- Passion Flower (1980) Zoot Sims plays Duke Ellington (Pablo Today 2312 120)
- On the Corner (1983) with Frank Collett , Monty Budwig and Shelly Manne
- Quietly There - Zoot Plays Johnny Mandel (1984) with Mike Wofford , Chuck Berghofer , Nick Ceroli and Victor Feldman
- In a Sentimental Mood (Sonet, 1985) with Red Mitchell and Rune Gustafsson
- Joachim Ernst Berendt and Günther Huesmann: The Jazz Book . Frankfurt / M .; Fischer TB.
- Carlo Bohländer , Karl Heinz Holler, Christian Pfarr: Reclam's Jazz Guide . 5th, revised and supplemented edition. Reclam, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-15-010464-5 .
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz music. 1700 artists and bands from the beginning until today. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 1999, ISBN 3-476-01584-X .
- Richard Cook , Brian Morton : The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings . 8th edition. Penguin, London 2006, ISBN 0-14-102327-9 .
- Leonard Feather , Ira Gitler : The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz. Oxford University Press, New York 1999, ISBN 0-19-532000-X .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 2: M – Z (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16513). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16513-9 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sims, John Haley|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American modern jazz saxophonist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 29, 1925|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Inglewood , California|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 23, 1985|
|Place of death||New York City|