After graduating from high school in 1978 in Bad Mergentheim, Klaus Mezger began studying mineralogy and geology at the Julius Maximilians University in Würzburg. After completing his intermediate diploma, he was a visiting graduate student at the State University of New York in Albany from 1981 to 1982 .
After receiving his diploma in 1984, he received his doctorate in 1989 from the State University of New York in Stony Brook. He worked as a postdoc at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor for two years and moved to the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz in 1991 . After his habilitation in 1995 at the Johannes Gutenberg University , Mainz, he was appointed professor of geochemistry at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster . From 1997 to 2009 he headed the Central Laboratory for Geochronology there. Since 2009 he has been Professor of Geochemistry at the University of Bern in Switzerland. Mezger has been a member of the Leopoldina since 2010 and a corresponding member of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences since 2009 . In 2015 he was elected to the Academia Europaea .
The research focus of the Klaus Mezgers group is on methods for determining the age of rocks using isotope geochemistry . The high-precision measurement of isotope ratios in samples from meteorites, lunar rocks and terrestrial materials enables geological processes in the formation of the earth to be deciphered. The last major meteorite collision on earth, which also created the moon , was dated to 4.527 ± 10 mya . The duration of formation of planetary nuclei could also be set at 13 mya (Mars) or 40 mya (Earth). In 2006 he was awarded the Leibniz Prize for the precision of his dating methods .
- 1992 Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Prize of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- 2006 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize from the DFG
- 2016 Urey Award from the European Association of Geochemistry
- Recognition by the DFG ( memo from September 29, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Head of the working group for isotope geology at the University of Bern
- Member by Prof. Dr. Klaus Mezger (with picture and CV) at the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina , accessed on May 19, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 31, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Deubach|