Konrad Schwenck (born October 21, 1793 in Lich ; † February 14, 1864 in Frankfurt am Main ) was a German philologist . He wrote works on etymology and mythology and translated works from Latin into German .
Schwenk attended high school in Gießen and studied classical philology and German literature at the university there . After ten years as a private tutor, he went to the University of Bonn . As a friend of Ernst Moritz Arndt and Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker , he fell into the persecution of demagogues due to the Karlsbad resolutions and had to leave Prussia . In Frankfurt he got a job as a history teacher at the municipal grammar school , where he became vice-rector in 1829 and vice-rector in 1839. He turned down a later call to Bonn to succeed Johann Friedrich Ferdinand Delbrück . In 1853 he retired.
- Own works
- Etymological dictionary of the Latin language with comparison of the Greek and German. Frankfurt a. M., 1827
- Dictionary of the German language in relation to ancestry and concept formation . 1st edition, Frankfurt 1838. 2nd edition: Frankfurt 1855.
The mythology of the Asian peoples, the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Teutons and Slavs . 4 volumes. Frankfuert 1843-1849.
- The mythology of the Greeks for the educated and the student youth . Frankfurt 1843.
- The mythology of the Romans for the educated and the student youth . Frankfurt 1845.
- The mythology of the Egyptians for the educated and the student youth . Frankfurt 1846.
- The mythology of the Semites for the educated and the student youth . Frankfurt 1849.
- The seven tragedies of Sophocles . Frankfurt 1846.
- Goethe’s works. Statements by Konrad Schwenck . Frankfurt 1847.
- Literary characteristics and criticisms . Frankfurt 1847.
- Schiller’s works [!]. Frankfurt 1850.
- The symbols of the ancient peoples . Frankfurt 1851.
- The Homeric Hymns . 1st edition: Giessen 1814; 2nd edition: Frankfurt 1825.
- Gaius Valerius Catullus : Carmina with appendix: Sixth Canto of the Odyssey . Frankfurt 1829.
- Rudolf Jung : Schwenck, Konrad . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 33, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1891, p. 377.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 21, 1793|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lich|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 14, 1864|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|