Kurt Lange (engineer)
Live and act
Lange studied mechanical engineering at the technical universities in Hanover and Braunschweig between 1939 and 1948 . His studies were interrupted from October 1940 to June 1945 due to his military service in the Wehrmacht . From 1949 to October 1957, Lange worked as a research assistant at Otto Kienzle at the TH Hannover . He received his doctorate in 1953 on the subject of work accuracy in drop forging under hammers . From 1953 he was head of the drop forging research center. After his habilitation on the subject of closed-die forging and its scientific development , he moved to Daimler-Benz AG in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim in October 1957 , where he was head of a department for the metal-forming production of engine and chassis parts until March 1963. At the same time, he had teaching assignments at the TH Hannover and Karlsruhe. In March 1963 he was appointed professor at what is now the University of Stuttgart , where he took over the management of the Institute for Forming Technology (IfU). He became one of the most influential figures in metal forming in the second half of the 20th century. His four-volume handbook of forming technology is still a standard work in his field. In the summer of 1970 he was a visiting professor at the University of Illinois in Chicago .
On his initiative, the working group for forming technology , which today comprises 20 chairs, was founded on November 1st, 1974 . Since 1964 he was a member of the WGP , which at that time was still called the University Group Manufacturing Technology (HGF). He was also a member of the International Academy for Production Technology (CIRP) , which he chaired in 1985/86. He retired in 1988 .
Kurt Lange Foundation
The "Kurt and Ilse Lange Foundation", which "aims to intensify research and development in production technology at the University of Stuttgart by promoting the next generation of students and academics in engineering," came into force on November 9, 2006. The approximately 2000 euros annual foundation sum was distributed for the first time at the end of 2008.
- 1987: Honorary doctorate from the Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- 1988: Member of the National Academy of Engineering (USA)
- 1994: Georg Schlesinger Prize
- 1999: Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity Award
- 1999: Herwart Opitz Medal from the Association of German Engineers (VDI)
- 1999 and 2004: Honorary colloquia on his 80th and 85th birthday
- The accuracy of work in drop forging under hammering . Dissertation TH Hannover, 1953
- The manufacturing issues of closed-die forging and their scientific development . Habilitation. Springer, Berlin 1957
- Umformtechnik: Handbook for industry and science . tape 1-4 (1984-1993) . Springer, Berlin / Heidelberg / New York, ISBN 3-540-13249-X .
- Flowers by the wayside. Autobiography. Meisenbach, Bamberg 2003, ISBN 3-87525-194-6
- Literature by and about Kurt Lange in the catalog of the German National Library
- Institute for Forming Technology: Former IFU director Prof. em. Dr.-Ing. Kurt Lange passed away at ble Bäumen.com
- Funeral address by Prof. Hartmut Hofmann, utg Munich (PDF; 25 kB)
- Short biography of Springer Verlag
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German engineer and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 13, 1919|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Osnabrück|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 1, 2009|