Leopold IV. Friedrich (Anhalt-Dessau)
He was a son of Hereditary Prince Friedrich von Anhalt-Dessau and Christiana Amalie (1774–1846), daughter of Landgrave Friedrich V of Hessen-Homburg , grandson of Duke Leopold III. Friedrich Franz , called father Franz . After the Battle of the Nations near Leipzig , he followed the allies to Paris. He took over the government of Anhalt-Dessau on August 9, 1817 after the death of his grandfather .
Due to the storms of 1848 he felt compelled to give the country a constitutional constitution on October 29, 1848 , which was repealed on November 4, 1849 and was only replaced by a new landscape order in October 1859.
After the Anhalt-Köthen line died out (1847), Leopold took over the government of Anhalt-Köthen on November 23, 1847 as senior member of the House of Anhalt . On May 1, 1853, the two duchies of Dessau and Köthen were united to form the Duchy of Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen. With the death of Duke Alexander Carl von Anhalt-Bernburg († August 19, 1863) he also inherited Anhalt-Bernburg . From August 30, 1863, he held the title Duke of Anhalt .
He was followed by his son, Duke Friedrich I.
- Auguste (1819-1828)
- Agnes (1824-1897)
- ⚭ 1853 Duke Ernst I of Saxony-Altenburg (1826–1908)
- Friedrich I (1831–1904), Duke of Anhalt
- ⚭ 1854 Princess Antoinette of Saxony-Altenburg (1838–1908)
- Maria Anna (1837-1906)
- ⚭ 1854 Prince Friedrich Karl Nikolaus of Prussia (1828–1885)
- Ferdinand Siebigk: Leopold IV . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 18, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1883, pp. 367-369.
- Ralf Regener: A forgotten ruler - Biographical studies of Duke Leopold Friedrich (1794–1871) , in: Mitteilungen des Verein für Anhaltische Landeskunde 23 (2014), pp. 177–207.
- Correspondence from Leopold Friedrich von Anhalt-Dessau in the State Archives Saxony-Anhalt, Dessau department
Duke of Anhalt-Dessau
Duke of Anhalt-Köthen
Duke of Anhalt-Bernburg
Duke of Anhalt
|SURNAME||Leopold IV. Friedrich|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Anhalt-Dessau, Leopold IV. Friedrich von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Duke of Anhalt-Dessau|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 1, 1794|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dessau|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 22, 1871|
|Place of death||Dessau|