The M-class was a class of pilot station ships of the Nederlands Loodswezen. The ships were replaced by the P-class pilot station ships between 2012 and 2014 and then sold.
The ships are powered by diesel-electric technology . The propulsion is done by an electric motor from the manufacturer Smit (Holec) with 1060 kW power , which acts on a propeller . The ships reach around 13 kn . They are equipped with an electrically powered bow thruster with an output of 304 kW.
Three diesel generator sets are available for power generation, each consisting of a six-cylinder , four-stroke diesel engine from the manufacturer Stork Werkspoor (type: Dro 216 K) with an output of 497 kW, as well as a direct current generator with 380 kVA from the manufacturer Smit-Holec and a three-phase generator with 180 kVA from the manufacturer Heemaf exist. An emergency generator is also available. A DAF diesel engine (type: DU825) with 90 kW power drives a Heemaf generator.
There was space for a total of 49 people on board the pilot station ships. The crew of the ships consisted of 15 people. The ships were each on station for a week before calling at their base port for bunkering , equipping with consumables and changing crew.
The ships were approved for coastal travel up to 200 nautical miles off the Dutch coast. They were equipped with a tender boat on both sides with which the pilots could be transferred. The tender boats were lowered into the water using a davit and taken back on board.
|Building name||Build number||IMO number||delivery||Later names and whereabouts|
|Mirfak||878||7605677||May 1977||Sold to the UK in 2013|
|Menkar||879||7605689||October 1977||Sold to a private security and military company in the UK in 2014; Used as a safety and transfer ship in the Gulf of Aden.|
|Markab||880||7605691||June 1978||Sold to Germany in 2013, converted into an offshore safety vessel, later resold to Great Britain to a private security and military company; Used as a safety and transfer ship in the Red Sea.|
The aft ship of the Markab was built under construction number 357 at the Amels shipyard in Makkum .
- Auk Boom: Over loodsen en beloodsen , September 2009 (PDF, 348 kB). Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Menkar , Zeeschepen op het Haringvliet. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Markab , Zeeschepen op het Haringvliet. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Sale pilot station vessel Mirfak , Damen Trading & Chartering, November 4, 2013. Accessed June 20, 2018.
- Sale pilot station vessel Menkar , Damen Trading & Chartering, November 3, 2014. Accessed June 20, 2018.
- Transfer Vessels , Ambrey. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Sale pilot station vessel Markab , Damen Trading & Chartering, May 14, 2013. Accessed June 20, 2018.
- Markab ( Memento from January 11, 2017 in the Internet Archive ), Antares Charter.
- Loodsboot-eighth chip "Markab" , Stichting Ald Makkum eo Accessed on 21 June 2018th