The P-class is a class of pilot station ships of the Nederlands Loodswezen.
The class of ship was used by the company Conoship International and SasTech and the shipyard designed Loodswezen Barkmeijer Shipyards according to the wishes of the Dutch Pilotage Organization Nederlands. The ships were ordered in September 2010 and built at the Barkmeijer Shipyards in Stroobos. The total cost was around 90 million euros.
The ships replaced the pilot station ships of the M-Class , which had been put into service in 1977 and 1978 and could only have been adapted to current requirements with great effort.
The drive is diesel-electric . It is built completely redundantly over two drive trains. Propulsion is carried out by two ABB electric motors, each with an output of 1700 kW , which act on two fixed propellers via reduction gears . The ships are equipped with two bow thrusters , each with an output of 350 kW.
A total of six diesel generator sets are available for power generation. Four Leroy Somer generators with an apparent power of 1,175 kVA , each driven by a Caterpillar C32 Acert diesel engine with an output of 940 kW, are used to generate electricity for the traction motors. Two additional Leroy-Somer generators with 713 kVA apparent power, each driven by a Caterpillar diesel engine of the type C18 with 570 kW power, are used to supply power on board. Motors and generators are each housed redundantly in two separate departments in the machine room. Furthermore, an emergency generator was installed, which consists of a Caterpillar C9 with 200 kW power, which drives a Leroy-Somer generator with 250 kVA apparent power.
There is space for 17 crew members on board the ships (including the crew members of the tender boats with which the pilots are transferred). The ships have space for 18 pilots. There are also ten spare beds.
The ships are equipped with three tender boats. The boats are lowered into the water and picked up again with the help of davits . They are driven by two people and can carry four pilots. Another way of translating pilots is the SWATH pilot tenders , which go alongside the station ship so that the pilots can climb over .
The ships can stay on station for up to four weeks. They are also designed to supply the tender boats with fuel.
|Building name||Build number||IMO number||
|Polaris||324||9496915||February 15, 2011
November 18, 2011
October 4, 2012
October 19, 2012
August 30, 2013
July 5, 2013
June 27, 2014
The ships are named after stars - Polarstern , Pollux and Prokyon . One ship each is stationed at the pilot stations Maasmond (northwest of Hoek van Holland ) and Steenbank (northwest of Vlissingen ), one serves as a reserve.
- The next generation. In: Navigator NL. Nederlandse Loodsencorporatie, Vol. 10, December 2011, pp. 6-7 PDF , 2 MB). (
- New flagship. In: Navigator NL. Nederlandse Loodsencorporatie, Vol. 11, December 2012, pp. 6-9 PDF , 16.8 MB). (
- Richard Akerboom: Loodsboot Polaris managed as de Poolster. In: SWZ Maritime. June 2011, pp. 22-27 PDF ( Memento from June 21, 2018 in the Internet Archive ), 2.9 MB). (
- Polaris: pilot station vessel equipped with three fast launch craft. In: Significant Small Ships of 2012 , Royal Institution of Naval Architects , p. 46 ( online ).
- P-class , Nederlands Loodswezen
- Doop 'Polaris' , brochure, Nederlands Loodswezen (PDF, 2.1 MB)
- Interactive Virtual Tour of BN 325 Pollux , Barkmeijer Shipyards
- On Order: Pilot Station Vessel , Periodical Newsletter 2010/1, Conoship International (PDF, 1.9 MB). Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Markab revisited: Elegant lady fit for second life. In: Navigator NL. Nederlandse Loodsencorporatie, pp. 20-21 (PDF, 13 MB). Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Eight nieuwe schepen met Cat motoren voor het Loodswezen , Pon – Cat (PDF, 154 kB). Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Launch P-Class , Nederlands Loodswezen. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- SWATH , Nederlands Loodswezen. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Hans Heiligers: Psv Polaris: top class van Barkmeijer Shipyards , De Binnevaartkrant, October 26, 2012. Accessed June 20, 2018.
- Kiellegging nieuwe loodsboot , press release, Nederlands Loodswezen, February 24, 2011. Accessed June 20, 2018.
- Shipbuilding as a Service - Sea-basing , Barkmeijer Shipyards. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Tewaterlating nieuwe Loodsboot Polaris , press release, Nederlands Loodswezen, November 21, 2011. Accessed June 20, 2018th