Hans Martin Gubler
Hans Martin Gubler studied art history at the University of Zurich and received his doctorate with a dissertation on the baroque master builder Peter Thumb . His habilitation thesis dealt with the baroque master builder Johann Caspar Bagnato .
In addition to researching the Roman Catholic Vorarlberg Baroque , Gubler also dealt with the Reformed church building in the Canton of Zurich , especially with transverse churches . He invested a substantial part of his research into the monuments - inventorying . He contributed three volumes to the series Die Kunstdenkmäler der Schweiz . He particularly endeavored to take into account newer architecture and industrial monuments .
Gubler was Vice President of the Society for Swiss Art History and President of the Editorial Committee from 1981–1989. He was therefore responsible for the publication of the art monuments volumes and the inventory series of recent Swiss architecture .
Hans Martin Gubler was married and had three children. Most recently he lived in Wald ZH .
The art monuments of Switzerland
- The Art Monuments of the Canton of Zurich, Volume III. The districts of Pfäffikon and Uster. Basel 1978 ( The Art Monuments of Switzerland 66).
- The Art Monuments of the Canton of Zurich, Volume VII. The District of Winterthur, southern part. Basel 1986 ( The Art Monuments of Switzerland 76).
- The Art Monuments of the Canton of Zurich, Volume VIII. The Winterthur District, northern part. Basel 1986 ( The Art Monuments of Switzerland 79).
Other publications (selection)
- The Vorarlberg baroque master builder Peter Thumb, 1681–1766. A contribution to the history of southern German baroque architecture. Sigmaringen 1972 ( Bodensee Library 16).
- The Pfäfers monastery church. Basel 1973 ( Swiss Art Guide ).
- Kappel Monastery Church. Basel 1975 (Swiss Art Guide).
- Reformed churches in Uster, Gossau, Bäretswil. Basel 1976 (Swiss Art Guide).
- Rheinau monastery church. Basel 1978 (Swiss Art Guide).
- A forgotten Swiss history painter. Caspar Bosshardt from Pfäffikon. In: Heimatspiegel. 1980, 7, pp. 49-53.
- Wallisellen Reformed Church. Basel 1980, (Swiss Art Guide 269).
- Reformed Church Horgen. Bern 1981 (Swiss Art Guide 303).
- «Reformed» church building? Sketch of the development of rural church building in Zurich after the Reformation between 1580 and 1630. In: Hans Dietrich Altendorf, Peter Jezler (ed.): Bilderstreit. Cultural change in Zwingli's Reformation. Zurich 1984, pp. 141–148.
- Festschrift for the renovation of the Reformed Church in Wald 1984–1985 Forest 1985.
- On the construction and craft history of the Stäfa Church , in: Christoph Mörgeli (ed.): Reformed Church Stäfa. Stäfa 1988, pp. 15-38.
- Karlsruhe and Swiss architecture in the early 19th century. On Friedrich Weinbrenner's cross-border effects. In: Unser Kunstdenkmäler, 1989, 1, pp. 31–42.
- Gian-Willi Vonesch: In memory of Hans Martin Gubler, Wald. In: Nike Bulletin, 1989, 4, p. 29 ( digitized version ).
- notice, in: Neue Zürcher Zeitung , October 11, 1989, p. 62.
|SURNAME||Gubler, Hans Martin|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1939|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 6, 1989|
|Place of death||Italy|