Manfred Görtemaker (born April 28, 1951 in Großoldendorf ) is a German historian .
Görtemaker studied history , political science and journalism at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität in Münster and at the Free University of Berlin from 1969 to 1975 . His doctorate took place in 1977, his habilitation in 1990. Since 1992 Görtemaker has been a full professor of modern history with a focus on 19th and 20th centuries. Century at the University of Potsdam , where he gave his last lecture in July 2018 as part of his teaching there.
From 1975 to 1980 he was a research assistant and from 1983 to 1989 university assistant at the Free University of Berlin . In 1980/81 he worked as a John F. Kennedy Memorial Fellow at Harvard University and then in 1982/83 as Visiting Assistant Professor of Overseas Studies at Stanford University . In 1989/90 he was Krupp Foundation Senior Associate at the Institute for East-West Security Studies in New York. At the University of Potsdam he acted - in addition to his teaching activities as a professor of modern history - 1994/95 as Vice Rector for Teaching and Studies and from 2001 to 2004 as Chairman of the Senate. He has been a member of the Senate again since 2014. His students include Jürgen Angelow , Stefan Creuzberger , Helmut R. Hammerich , Clemens Heitmann , Dierk Hoffmann , Matthias Oppermann , Ernst Piper and Katarzyna Stokłosa .
Visiting professorships led him to Duke University in Durham (North Carolina, USA) in 1995 and to Dartmouth College in Hanover (New Hampshire, USA) in 1999 . In 2002/03 he was a visiting fellow at St. Antony's College, University of Oxford . From 2005 to 2017 he was visiting professor at the Dipartimento di Politica, Istituzioni, Storia at the Università di Bologna and at the Dipartimento di Scienze Politiche e Sociali at the Università di Bologna.
From 1992 to 1994 Görtemaker was a member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the redesign of the historic site in Cecilienhof Palace . From 1996 to 2004 he was a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Center for Contemporary History Research in Potsdam and from 2005 to 2011 a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Human Rights Center of the University of Potsdam and from 2009 to 2015 a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Point Alpha Foundation. From 2006 to 2010 he worked as a member of the scientific advisory board Memorium Nuremberg Trials on the establishment of a museum in the Palace of Justice in Nuremberg, which commemorates the Nuremberg Trials after 1945 and at the same time the history of international criminal law policy from the Hague Conferences to the International Criminal Court established in 2002 The Hague (ICC) .
Since 1998 Görtemaker has been chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Center for Military History and Social Sciences of the Bundeswehr (ZMSBw) and of the Advisory Board for Museum Issues of the Bundeswehr. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Ernst Reuter Archive Foundation in the Berlin State Archives.
In 2012, he and the criminal lawyer Christoph Safferling were commissioned by the Federal Ministry of Justice to investigate the “continuity of National Socialist Germany in the governmental activities of the Federal Ministry of Justice in the post-war period of the 1950s and 1960s”. The final report was published in 2016.
In 2016 Görtemaker received the Bundeswehr Cross of Honor in Gold.
He is married to the historian Heike B. Görtemaker .
- with Wichard Woyke and Klaus Nieder: Security for Europe? The Helsinki and Geneva Conference. Leske and Budrich, Opladen 1974, ISBN 3-7850-0251-3 .
- Détente Policy and European Security: Conflict and Cooperation in the East-West Relationship 1962–1977 [Berlin 1979], DNB 790961520 (Dissertation FU Berlin, Department 15 - Political Sciences, 1977, 263 pages).
- with Arnulf Baring, Masamori Sase and Ulrich Lins (eds.): Two timid giants? Germany and Japan since 1945. Belser Verlag, Stuttgart and Zurich 1977, ISBN 3-7630-1181-1 .
- The unholy alliance. The history of the policy of détente 1943–1979. CH Beck Verlag, Munich 1979, ISBN 3-406-04454-9 .
- The tamed continent. Defense and détente in Europe. Analysis and documents. Osang Verlag, Bonn 1979, ISBN 3-7894-0064-5 .
- with Arnulf Baring: change of power. The Brandt-Scheel era. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-421-06095-9 .
- with Gerhard Wettig (ed.): USA-USSR. Security Policy Documents. Leske Verlag and Budrich, Opladen 1987, ISBN 3-8100-0615-7 .
- International Relations I: The East-West Conflict. (Information on political education, no. 245). Federal Agency for Civic Education, Bonn 1994, ISSN 0046-9408.
- Germany in the 19th century. Lines of development. 4th, through Edition. Leske and Budrich, Opladen 1994, ISBN 3-8100-1336-6 .
- Unifying Germany, 1989-1990. St. Martin's Press, New York 1994, ISBN 0-3336-1969-2 .
- The way to unity. Germany since the eighties. (Information on political education, H. 250). Federal Agency for Civic Education, Bonn 1996. Revised. New edition 2015, ISSN 0046-9408.
- with Kristina Hübener, Klaus Neitmann and Kärstin Weirauch (eds.): Between royalty and popular sovereignty. The revolution of 1848/49 in Brandenburg. Peter Lang Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1999, ISBN 3-631-34452-X .
- History of the Federal Republic of Germany. From the foundation to the present. CH Beck Verlag, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-406-44554-3 .
- The University of Potsdam. History-buildings-environment. Berlin Verlag Arno Spitz, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-8305-0230-3 .
- History of Europe 1850–1918. Kohlhammer Verlag, Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-1701-4446-4 .
- with picture archive Preussischer Kulturbesitz (ed.): Weimar in Berlin. Portrait of an Era. be.bra verlag, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-89809-034-5 .
- with Stefan Creuzberger (Ed.): Gleichschaltung under Stalin? The development of the parties in Eastern Europe 1944-1949. Verlag Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2002, ISBN 3-506-76164-1 .
- Brief history of the Federal Republic of Germany. CH Beck Verlag, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-406-49538-9 .
- Places of democracy. A historical-political guide through Berlin. be.bra Verlag, Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-8980-9062-0 .
- Bismarck and Moltke. The Prussian General Staff and German Unification. Otto von Bismarck Foundation, Friedrichsruh 2004, ISBN 3-9334-1820-8 .
- Thomas Mann and politics. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2005, ISBN 3-10-028710-X .
- Britain and Germany in the Twentieth Century. Berg Publishers, Oxford and London 2006, ISBN 1-85973-842-7 .
- The Berlin Republic. Reunion and reorientation. be.bra verlag, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-89809-416-0 .
- with Christoph Safferling (ed.): Die Rosenburg. The Federal Ministry of Justice and the Nazi past - an inventory . Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2013, ISBN 978-3-525-30046-6 .
- Otto Braun. A Prussian democrat. be.bra verlag, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-89809-116-9 .
- 25 years University of Potsdam. Reviews and perspectives. be.bra Wissenschaft verlag, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-95410-071-2 .
- Germany and the West. Thoughts on the 20th century. be.bra Wissenschaft verlag, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-95410-078-1 .
- with Christoph Safferling: The Rosenburg files. The Federal Ministry of Justice and the Nazi era . CH Beck Verlag, Munich 2016, ISBN 978-3-406-69768-5 .
- Literature by and about Manfred Görtemaker in the catalog of the German National Library
- Manfred Görtemaker in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Profile on the website of the University of Potsdam
- Short biography and reviews of works by Manfred Görtemaker at perlentaucher.de
- ↑ Reinhard Müller: The cold statute of limitations FAZ, January 10, 2012.
- ^ Görtemaker, Manfred / Safferling, Christoph: The Rosenburg files. The Federal Ministry of Justice and the Nazi era. 2016. 588 p .: with 19 illustrations. ISBN 978-3-406-69768-5
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 28, 1951|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Großoldendorf|