Gailus studied history and political science in Berlin. He finished his studies in 1979 with the state examination . From 1981 to 1986 he was a research associate for economic and social history in the 19th century at the Department of Political Science at the Free University of Berlin . In 1988 he received his doctorate from the Technical University of Berlin under Reinhard Rürup with a study of social protest movements in Germany 1847–49. phil. Since 1990 he has been a research assistant at the Technical University of Berlin. From March 1997 to February 1998 he worked at the Hamburg Institute for Social Research . With studies on the National Socialist penetration of the Protestant social milieu in Berlin , he completed his habilitation in 1999 at the Technical University of Berlin.
- as an author
- “But it tore my heart.” Elisabeth Schmitz's silent resistance. 2nd edition Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2011, ISBN 978-3-525-55008-3 .
- "One people - one empire - one belief"? Religious pluralizations in the Nazi ideology dictatorship. In: Friedrich Wilhelm Graf (Ed.): Religion and Society. Europe in the 20th century (= industrial world , vol. 73). Böhlau Verlag, Cologne 2007, ISBN 978-3-412-20030-5 , pp. 247-268.
- Opening to political and social history and growing self-critical insights. Three new collections on Prussian church history. In: Historische Zeitschrift , Vol. 276 (2003), , pp. 95-101.
- The invention of the “Korn Jew”. On the history of an anti-Jewish enemy in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In: Historische Zeitschrift , Vol. 272 (2001), , pp. 597-622.
- Protestantism and National Socialism. Studies on the National Socialist penetration of the Protestant social milieu in Berlin (= industrial world , vol. 61). Böhlau Verlag, Cologne 2001, ISBN 3-412-07201-X (plus habilitation thesis, TU Berlin 1999).
- Street and bread. Social protest in the German states with special consideration of Prussia 1847–1849 (= publications of the Max Planck Institute for History , vol. 96). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1990, ISBN 3-525-35632-3 (also dissertation, TU Berlin 1988).
- as editor
- Perpetrators and accomplices in theology and churches 1933-1945. Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2015, ISBN 978-3-8353-1649-2 .
- with Armin Nolzen : quarreled "Volksgemeinschaft". Belief, Denomination and Religion in National Socialism. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2011, ISBN 978-3-525-30029-9 .
- Church administrative assistance. The Church and the persecution of the Jews in the “Third Reich”. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-525-55340-4 .
- with Heinrich Volkmann : The struggle for daily bread. Food shortage, supply policy and protest 1770–1990. Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1994, ISBN 3-531-12560-5 .
- Parishes in National Socialism. Seven examples from Berlin (= series of the German past , vol. 38). Edition Hentrich, Berlin 1990, ISBN 3-926175-71-0 .
- Literature by and about Manfred Gailus in the catalog of the German National Library
- Review notes on Perlentaucher
- - ( Memento of the original from July 29, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Review by Claudia Keller in Tagesspiegel , August 15, 2010.
- Review of Harald Loch in Neues Deutschland , May 6, 2010.
- Review of Friedrich-Martin Balzer in Junge Welt , July 26, 2010.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 28, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Winsen (Luhe)|