Live and act
Reinhard Rürup grew up in Bad Oeynhausen in East Westphalia . He attended the local Immanuel-Kant-Gymnasium up to the Abitur. From 1954 he studied history and German and also attended law and theology in Freiburg and Göttingen . With Percy Ernst Schramm he received his doctorate in 1962 with a doctoral thesis on " Johann Jakob Moser - Pietism and Reform ". From 1961 Rürup worked as an assistant to Martin Göhring , switched to Thomas Nipperdey in Karlsruhe in 1964 and went with him to the Friedrich Meinecke Institute of the Free University of Berlin in 1967 . There he completed his habilitation in 1970 as a senior assistant, which at that time was linked to an immediate appointment to professor at the Free University. From 1975 until his retirement in 1999 he held a chair for modern history at the Technical University of Berlin . Rürup taught as a visiting professor at the universities of Berkeley , Stanford , Harvard and Jerusalem, among others .
From 1989 to 2004 Rürup was head of the Topography of Terror memorial in Berlin. In protest against the filibuster against the construction project of the architect Peter Zumthor by the competent authorities of the State of Berlin and the Federal he resigned his honorary position.
In order to convey new historical research results on Soviet war victims, German extermination plans before 1941, their ideological and social roots and the participation of German leadership elites in them, Rürup and others conceived the Berlin exhibition The War against the Soviet Union in 1991 in order to convey new historical research results to broader sections of the population, especially schoolchildren and young people .
From 1999 to the end of 2005, he and Wolfgang Schieder headed the research program “History of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society under National Socialism”. Since 2002 he has been a member of the Limbach Commission , which acts as a mediator on questions about Nazi-looted art . In 2010 he was awarded the Great Federal Cross of Merit.
The Zeitschrift für Geschichtswwissenschaft (ZfG) dedicated its entire issue No. 5/2019 to Reinhard Rürup and his memory on the first anniversary of his death. This special edition In memoriam Reinhard Rürup (1934-2018) was published for the special event In memory of Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rürup (May 27, 1934 - April 6, 2018) , which took place on May 28, 2019 in the Topography of Terror Documentation Center.
Monographs and collections of articles
- Problems of the Revolution in Germany 1918/1919 (= Institute for European History . Lectures. No. 50). Steiner, Wiesbaden 1968.
- Emancipation and Anti-Semitism. Studies on the "Jewish question" in bourgeois society (= critical studies on historical science . Volume 15). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1975, ISBN 3-525-35966-7 .
- with Peter Brandt : People's Movement and Democratic Reorganization in Baden 1918/19. On the prehistory and history of the revolution. Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1991, ISBN 3-7995-4146-2 .
- Germany in the 19th century 1815–1871 (= German history. Volume 8 = Small Vandenhoeck series. Volume 1497). 2nd, revised and bibliographically supplemented edition. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1992, ISBN 3-525-33584-9 .
- (with the assistance of Michael Schüring): Fates and Careers. Memorial book for the researchers expelled from the Kaiser Wilhelm Society by the National Socialists (= History of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society in National Socialism. Volume 14). Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-89244-797-9 .
- The long shadow of National Socialism. History, history politics and memory culture. Edited by Stefanie Schüler-Springorum . Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2014, ISBN 978-3-8353-1530-3 .
- with Karin Hausen : Modern History of Technology (= New Scientific Library. Volume 81). Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne 1975.
- Science and society. Contributions to the history of the Technical University of Berlin 1879–1979. Festschrift for the 100th anniversary of the Technical University of Berlin. 2 volumes. Springer, Berlin 1979, ISBN 3-540-09672-8 .
- The Third Reich had no problem with German historians. In: Rüdiger Hohls , Konrad H. Jarausch (Ed.): Missed questions. German historians in the shadow of National Socialism . DVA, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-421-05341-3 , pp. 267-280. (online) , interview with Reinhard Rürup.
- Michael Grüttner (Ed.): History and Emancipation. Festschrift for Reinhard Rürup. Campus, Frankfurt am Main 1999, ISBN 3-593-36202-3 .
- Karin Hausen : Reinhard Rürup (1934–2018). In: Historical magazine . Volume 309, 2019, pp. 112-121.
- Jürgen Kocka : Accurate and sensitive. The historian Reinhard Rürup has died. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung . April 9, 2018, No. 81, p. 11 ( online ).
- Wolfgang Schieder : Reinhard Rürup. Scientific trailblazer and public historian. In: History and Society . Volume 44, 2018, pp. 312-320.
- Stefanie Schüler-Springorum : Out of competition. He was a German pioneer of Holocaust research, his thoughts always with the victims: On the death of Reinhard Rürup. In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung . April 10, 2018, No. 83, p. 11 ( online ).
- In memoriam Reinhard Rürup (1934-2018). Edited by Erika Bucholtz, Andreas Nachama , Stefanie Schüler-Springorum and Ulrich Wyrwa . Zeitschrift für Geschichtswwissenschaft (ZfG), Issue 5, May 2019, pp. 393 to 463. With articles by Wolfgang Schieder, Detlef Lehnert , Shulamit Volkov , Werner Bergmann and Ulrich Wyrwa, Michael Wildt , Rüdiger Hachtmann . Content available online.
- Reinhard Rürup. Bibliography . Published by the Topography of Terror Foundation , editors Lovis Atze, Florian Gehringer, Ulrich Tempel, on the occasion of the event In memory of Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rürup (May 27, 1934 - April 6, 2018) on May 28, 2019 in the Topography of Terror Documentation Center. Obtainable in or from the library of the documentation center .
- Michael Wildt : Obituary: On the death of Reinhard Rürup (1934–2018) . In: H-Soz-Kult , April 9, 2018.
- A central actor in the culture of remembrance . Interview with Michael Grüttner on the death of Reinhard Rürup. In: LISA science portal of the Gerda Henkel Foundation .
- Detlev Brunner : On the death of a politically committed scientist. In: Gegenblende , April 17, 2018.
- Historian Reinhard Rürup dies at the age of 83. In: Tagesspiegel Online . April 7, 2018, accessed April 7, 2018 .
- Westfalen-Blatt , number 89 of April 17, 2018.
- Marcel Steinbach-Reimann, Jens Hacke: Interview with Reinhard Rürup . In: H-Soz-Kult , February 2, 1999, accessed April 8, 2018.
- Christina Tilmann: Scandal and last hope: "Topography" director Reinhard Rürup on his resignation . In: Der Tagesspiegel . March 27, 2004, accessed April 8, 2018.
- Reinhard Rürup (ed.): The war against the Soviet Union. A documentation. (Exhibition catalog) Berlin 1991.
- Presidential Commission "History of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society under National Socialism" . Max Planck Society , September 27, 2006, accessed on April 8, 2018.
- awards for the Day of German Unity. Press release of the Office of the Federal President, October 6, 2008, archived from the original on December 9, 2008 ; accessed on April 8, 2018 .
- Jürgen Kocka : Accurate and sensitive. The historian Reinhard Rürup has died. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung. No. 81, April 9, 2018, p. 11.
- Historical Commission: Members. Social Democratic Party of Germany, archived from the original on September 24, 2015 ; accessed on April 8, 2018 .
- In memory of Prof. Dr. Reinhard Rürup (May 27, 1934 - April 6, 2018). Retrieved June 14, 2019 .
- Selected bibliography on H-Soz-Kult of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, accessed on April 12, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 27, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rehme|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 6, 2018|
|Place of death||Berlin|