Live and act
Stantchev comes from a family of musicians; his father is a Bulgarian pianist, his mother French. He began playing the piano at the age of five; as a teenager he discovered improvisation while completing the Lycée Musical. At the age of 22 he founded his quartet. During his studies (piano, composition, orchestration and conducting) he already appeared in the Jazz Quintet Idea , with which an album was created in 1978. He also worked with Simeon Shterev . In 1980 he left Bulgaria; he moved to Lyon, where he worked as a musician and composer. In 1984 he founded the jazz department at the National Conservatory of Lyon.
Stantchev worked there first with Jean-Louis Almosnino and Bill Dobbins , then with Michel Perez / Ron Carter , Enrico Rava , Louis Petrucciani and Lionel Martin . In 1985 he presented his debut album in a trio with Daniel Humair and Mike Richmond . He performed in different formations in Europe, America and China. In 1988 he founded his sextet; since 2008 he has been working with Didier Del Aguila on double bass and Roland Merlinc on drums in the New Trio . In the Trio Perfetto he plays with the guitarist Philippe Petrucciani and the trombonist Francesco Castellani.
His compositions include portraits for brass, percussion and piano (Sofia, 1980), Piece No. 1 for String Quartet and Big Band (Lyon, 1989), collages for contemporary ensemble and Corsican voices (Bastia, 1992), Suites East-West for Bulgarian voices and jazz ensemble (Tbilisi, 1997), instrumental suite for guitar and piano, Climats , three pieces for guitar and string quartet and Banana for combo and string quartet (Thionville, 2006).
Stantchev teaches at the National Conservatory of Lyon and at the IMFP in Salon-de-Provence .
- Jazz Before Jazz, Autour de la musique de Louis Moreau Gottschalk. Mario Stantchev & Lionel Martin ( Cristal Records 2018)
- Mario Stantchev, Veselin Koychev Folklore & Jazz (Riva Sound Records 2016)
- Kukeri (Cristal Records 2006, with Roger Nikitoff, Francesco Castellani, Michel Barrot, Didier Del Aguila, Jean-Luc Di Fraya)
- Strings (Salon de Musique 2003, with Michel Barrot, Michel Zenino)
- Priyatelstvo (RDC 2001, with Roger Nikitoff, Francesco Castellani, Michel Barrot, Gérard Guerin, Alain Couffign)
- Kaleidoscope (Instant Présent, 1996 with Jay Anderson , Ron Carter, André Ceccarelli , Riccardo Del Fra , Billy Drummond , Peter Gritz , Daniel Humair, Adam Nussbaum , Mike Richmond)
- Un certain parfum (1985, with Daniel Humair, Mike Richmond)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Stanchev, Mario|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Bulgarian-French jazz musician (piano, composition)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sofia|