Markus Theunert (born January 25, 1973 in Basel ) is one of the best-known representatives of the Swiss men's movement and was the first state representative for men in the German-speaking area.
Theunert studied psychology and sociology at the Universities of Basel and Bern. In 2000 he founded the Swiss men's newspaper . From 2005 to 2016 he was the founding president of the umbrella association of Swiss men's and father's organizations, Männer.ch . He is co-initiator of Swiss Father's Day and was a member of the Federal Commission for Women's Issues from 2007 to 2012 .
From July 1st to 24th, 2012, he worked as a men's representative for the Canton of Zurich at the specialist office for equality between women and men. With the creation of the position of a men's representative, the canton of Zurich is the first community in the German-speaking area that has created its own function for the specific equality policy challenges of boys, men and fathers. After a polemic about an old sexual-political position paper from Männer.ch , Theunert was given the choice after three weeks to renounce active participation at Männer.ch - or to resign from his work as a men's representative; then he left the cantonal office.
He then worked as the general secretary of Männer.ch and, since 2017, as the head of the Swiss Institute for Men and Gender Issues (SIMG), a legally independent specialist unit that is closely associated with Männer.ch.
Markus Theunert is one of the pioneers of the men's political movement in German-speaking countries. He is editor of the anthology Men's Politics. What makes boys, men and fathers strong . In it he develops a framework concept that systematizes the legitimation of men’s politics, target groups, topics and actors.
"In order to bring the equality project to an end 40 years after the start of the women's movement, gender policy must be geared to the needs of men, boys and fathers and anchored institutionally, according to the central demand of the book." In his book Co- Feminism. How men sabotage equality - and what women get out of it, he particularly examines the role of men in gender politics.
Theunert positions itself as a representative of a gender- oriented men's movement and thus as a partner in a gender dialogue on an equal footing . In order for the equality project to succeed, the men need to be proactive. “That is why one must not address men as accomplices for female equality, but one must awaken their passion.” This requires a double emancipation of men: on the one hand from outdated masculinity norms on the one hand, and on the other hand from women's power to define gender equality . In his men's policy framework, he describes gender equality policy as a dialogical connection between independent women's and men's political sub-strategies. On this basis, he calls for the anchoring of a new relational equality paradigm and the overcoming of a purely quantitative and comparative equality discourse : “As long as we argue about which gender is more affected by the social corset, we tighten the corsets ourselves. Neither men nor women alone are perpetrators or victims, profiteers or losers. "
Theunert's appointment as men's representative and his resignation shortly thereafter were widely commented on by the national and international press.
While Alice Schwarzer attested Theunert to utter “lots of clever things” , the state's equal opportunities work, among other things, critically questioned the necessity of the function of a men's representative. The anti-feminist men's rights movement (from which Theunert himself clearly distances himself) is negative about his perspectives on gender equality. The anti-feminist blog Sons of Perseus , for example, criticizes Theunert as a “puppet as an urgently needed male legitimacy facade” for “Swiss state feminism” .
- Markus Theunert (Ed.) : Men's politics. What makes boys, men and fathers strong. Wiesbaden: Springer VS 2012, ISBN 978-3-531-18419-7 .
- Markus Theunert : Co-feminism: How men sabotage emancipation - and what women get from it. Bern: Verlag Hans Huber 2013, ISBN 978-3-456-85280-5 .
- Website by Markus Theunert
- Markus Theunert ( Memento from May 3, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) on the Männer.ch website
- Jean-Martin Büttner: The man who understands. Portrait in: Tages-Anzeiger from December 9, 2015.
- ↑ http://www.maennerzeitung.ch/
- ↑ Markus Gygli is the new President of Männer.ch, press release of January 23, 2016 , accessed on January 23, 2016.
- ↑ Markus Theunert, Co-Feminism: How Men Sabotage Emancipation - and What Women Get from it. Bern 2013, p. 192, letter of resignation dated December 14, 2012
- ↑ - ( Memento of the original from July 29, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Marcel Gyr: Dropped. In: nzz.ch. July 24, 2012, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- ↑ SIMG Institute. Retrieved January 4, 2020 .
- ↑ http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/frauenfoerderung-bringt-nichts-id2199139.html "He is the most famous male politician in Switzerland."
- ↑ a b Dorothee Vögeli: Now follows the emancipation of men. In: nzz.ch. May 23, 2012, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- ↑ a b Theunert, Markus (ed.). Men's politics. What makes boys, men and fathers strong. Wiesbaden: Springer VS 2012, ISBN 978-3-531-18419-7
- ↑ a b http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/diverses/Wehrt-euch-Maenner/story/11441560
- ^ Theunert, Markus (2012). Men's policy (s): a framework. In: Theunert, Markus (ed.). Men's politics. What Makes Boys, Men, and Fathers Strong, pp. 13–54. Wiesbaden: Springer VS 2012, ISBN 978-3-531-18419-7
- ↑ Markus Theunert: Equality: Dear Alice Schwarzer! In: The time . No. 21/2012 ( online ).
- ↑ http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/stadt/Zuerich-hat-den-ersten-Maennerbeauftragten-der-Schweiz/story/26728753
- ↑ http://bazonline.ch/leben/gesellschaft/Ich-moechte-die-Leidenschaft-der-Maenner-wecken/story/26969418
- ↑ Archived copy ( Memento of the original from January 27, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ jh: "Tapped into the tabloid trap": Men's representative in Switzerland resigns. In: Focus Online . July 24, 2012, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- ↑ http://www.derbund.ch/schweiz/standard/Frauen-sollten-auch-mal-zuerst-kuessen/story/28937231
- ↑ http://www.beobachter.ch/arbeit-bildung/artikel/gleichstellung_muss-jetzt-ein-mann-ran/
- ↑ http://www.maenner.ch/sites/default/files/referat_theunert_antifeminismus_250611_0.pdf ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ^ Entry from March 18, 2012, http://sonsofperseus.blogspot.com/2012/03/theunert-wird-erster-mannerbeauftragter.html
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss male politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 25, 1973|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|