Massimo Pallottino (born November 9, 1909 in Rome , † February 7, 1995 ibid) was an Italian archaeologist . He taught as a professor of Etruscology at La Sapienza University in Rome.
life and work
His scientific career began from 1933 to 1940 as an employee at the Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia in Rome, where he carried out excavations in Capena , Cerveteri and Veji , among other places . Massimo Pallottino was a private lecturer from 1937 and worked at the University of Cagliari from 1940 to 1945 . In 1946 he was appointed to the chair of Etruscology at the University of Rome, which he held until 1980.
His most important archaeological field research included the excavations in the sanctuary of Pyrgi from 1957 with the discovery of the gold sheets from Pyrgi in 1964. In 1982 he was awarded the Balzan Prize for Classical Studies. In 1984 he received the Erasmus Prize ; He was also a member of numerous scientific institutions, including the German Archaeological Institute . In 1976 he was elected a corresponding member of the British Academy .
Inspired by Wilhelm Brandenstein , Pallottino also dealt with the question of Atlantis , which he described as "open". In essence, he followed Brandenstein's opinion, but added his own ideas in some points.
- Gli Etruschi, Rome 1939; 2nd edition 1940.
- Etruscologia, Milan 1942; further editions 1947, 1955, 1957, 1963, 1968, 1984.
- German: Etruscology. History and culture of the Etruscans , translated by Stephan Steingräber. Birkhäuser, Basel a. a. 1988, ISBN 3-7643-1874-0 .
- L'origine degli Etruschi, Rome 1947.
- La Sardegna nuragica, Rome 1950.
- Atlantide, in: Archeologia Classica No. 4/1952, pp. 229-240.
- Testimonia Linguae Etruscae , Florence 1954; 2nd edition 1968.
- Etruscan art, Zurich 1955.
- Civiltà artistica etrusco-italica, Florence 1971.
- Thesaurus Linguae Etruscae . I. Indice lessicale. Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Centro di Studio per l'Archeologia Etrusco-Italica, Rome 1978.
- Saggi di Antichità, Rome 1979.
- Storia della prima Italia, Milan 1984.
- German: Italy before Roman times . Translated by Stephan Steingräber. Beck, Munich 1987, ISBN 3-406-32012-0 .
- Origini e storia primitiva di Roma, Milan 1993.
A complete list of publications in Archeologia Classica 43, 1991, pp. XIII-L.
- Miscellanea etrusca e italica in onore di Massimo Pallottino, Archeologia Classica 43, 1991.
- Guglielmo Maetzke: Ricordo di Massimo Pallottino , in Studi Etruschi 61, 1995, IX-XIII.
- Mauro Cristofani : Massimo Pallottino , in Gnomon 69, 1997, 92-94.
- Filippo Delpino: PALLOTTINO, Massimo. In: Raffaele Romanelli (ed.): Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI). Volume 80: Ottone I-Pansa. Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Rome 2014.
- Literature by and about Massimo Pallottino in the catalog of the German National Library
- Atlantis-Scout: Massimo Pallottino about Plato's Atlantis for download.
- Bibliografia degli scritti di Massimo Pallottino , list of publications at the Istituto di Studi sulle Civiltà Italiche e del Mediterraneo Antico (687 articles)
- ^ Deceased Fellows. British Academy, accessed July 14, 2020 .
- ↑ Massimo Pallottino, Atlantide, Archeologia Classica No. 4/1952, pp. 229-240.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 9, 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rome|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 7, 1995|
|Place of death||Rome|