Max Friedlaender (musicologist)
Max Friedlaender studied singing ( bass ) in London and Frankfurt am Main with Julius Stockhausen and made his debut as a singer in London in 1880. From 1881 to 1883 he worked in Frankfurt am Main and then in Berlin, where he turned to historical studies. In 1887 Friedlaender received his doctorate in Rostock with contributions to the biography of Franz Schubert (published in Berlin in 1887) and completed his habilitation in 1894 as a private lecturer in music at the University of Berlin .
In 1903 Friedlaender was appointed associate professor, in 1908 as secret councilor and in 1918 as full honorary professor. In 1911 he went to the USA as a visiting professor , where he received an honorary doctorate from Harvard University in Cambridge . Alongside Rochus Freiherr von Liliencron, he was chairman of the commission for the folk song book for male choirs (1906) suggested by Kaiser Wilhelm II . His grave is on the south-west cemetery in Stahnsdorf .
A series of previously unprinted songs by Schubert were published by Friedlaender for the first time. He edited & a. New editions of the songs of Schubert, Schumann and Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy and the Scottish songs of Beethoven . Friedlaender started a choir school, worked on Julius Stockhausen's singing technique and voice training, and wrote a large number of essays on newer lied art.
- 1885: 100 German folk songs
- 1887: Contributions to the biography of Franz Schubert ( urn : nbn: de: bvb: 12-babs2-0000000915 )
- 1902: The German Song in the 18th Century , 2 volumes ( Volume 1 - Internet Archive ; Volume 2 - Internet Archive )
- 1922: Brahms ' songs. Introduction to his chants for one and two voices ( archive.org )
- Hans Joachim Moser : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 5, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1961, ISBN 3-428-00186-9 , p. 455 ( ).
- Christoph Schwandt: Friedlaender, Max. In: Ludwig Finscher (Ed.): The music in past and present . Second edition, personal section, volume 7 (Franco - Gretry). Bärenreiter / Metzler, Kassel et al. 2002, ISBN 3-7618-1117-9 ( online edition , subscription required for full access)
- Friedlaender, Max. In: Lexicon of German-Jewish authors . Volume 8: Frie – Gers. Edited by the Bibliographia Judaica archive. Saur, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-598-22688-8 , pp. 124-129 (accessed online from de Gruyter online).
- Works by and about Max Friedlaender in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Max Friedlaender in the German Digital Library
- Sheet music and audio files by Max Friedlaender in the International Music Score Library Project
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Friedländer, Max|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musicologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 12, 1852|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brieg , Silesia|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 2, 1934|
|Place of death||Berlin|