Melinda Gates (* 15. August 1964 in Dallas , Texas as Melinda Ann French ) is an American businesswoman, philanthropist and author . She is the wife of Bill Gates , whom she met at Microsoft , where she was the project manager for Microsoft Bob , Microsoft Encarta and Expedia , among others .
She graduated from Duke University with a bachelor's degree in computer science and economics in 1986 and received her MBA in 1987 . On January 1, 1994, she married Microsoft founder Bill Gates. The two have three children together, born in 1996, 1999 and 2002.
Melinda Gates is a member of the Roman Catholic Church .
She and her husband founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation , a charity , in 1999 .
The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World (2019) ISBN 978-1250313577
- German translation: We are many, we are one: If we strengthen women's rights, we will change the world (2019) ISBN 978-3426277928
- In 2005, she was with her husband and the U2 singer Bono person of the year of Time Magazine
- In 2006 she and her husband received the Prince of Asturias Prize for International Cooperation through their commitment to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation .
- In 2009, she and her husband received an honorary doctorate from the University of Cambridge
- 2013 was both the Lasker ~ Bloomberg Public Service Award of the Lasker Foundation awarded
- She was awarded the 2015 Padma Bhushan awarded
- 2016 drew President Barack Obama she and her husband with the Presidential Medal of Freedom from
- In 2017 she was honored with the Otto Hahn Peace Medal of 2016 in the Berlin City Hall , "for outstanding services to peace and international understanding".
- “Melinda Gates in portrait: From the shadow of Bill” , FAZ , November 8, 2006
- "Big Spender". Portrait of Melinda Gates in SZ-Magazin, September 11, 2015
- TIME names Bono, Bill and Melinda Gates Persons of Year. December 15, 2006, accessed February 27, 2019 .
- The White House: President Obama Names Recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. November 16, 2016, accessed November 22, 2016 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||French, Melinda Ann (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American businesswoman and philanthropist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||15th August 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dallas , Texas|