City of Dülmen
|Height :||60 m above sea level NN|
|Area :||28.52 km²|
|Residents :||1993 (March 1, 2019)|
|Population density :||70 inhabitants / km²|
|Incorporation :||1st January 1975|
|Postal code :||48249|
|Area code :||02594|
Merfeld is first mentioned in documents as Merfeldon around 890 . It is also documented that Mr. von Merveldt secured rights to wild horses in addition to fishing and hunting rights in 1316. The sovereign was the bishop of Munster. The von Merveldt family came into conflict with the Holy Roman Empire at the end of the 16th century. Adolf III. von Merveldt then set up a free court at Merfeld Castle and thus withdrew from the sovereignty of the Prince-Bishop of Münster. Because of this incident, Adolf III changed. from Merveldt to the Protestant faith. Adolf III. von Merveldt also carried out several witch trials .
During the 17th century, the von Merode family gained control of the Merfeld family. In the early 19th century ownership changed several times until Duke Alfred von Croÿ took over the lands in 1836. During this period Merfeld also flourished economically with its linen weaving. The number of inhabitants rose over 1000 for the first time. With the introduction of mechanization in the weaving mill , linen weavers were left without a foundation and often went to the Ruhr area to find work.
Franz von Papen settled in the Merfeld house in 1919 and was temporarily honorary mayor of Merfeld. His high allowance for this office was cut drastically by the District President Rudolf Amelunxen . Thereupon von Papen left Merfeld in 1930.
Only in the 1930s did a town center develop in Merfeld. The bombs that completely destroyed the town center of Dülmen spared Merfeld almost completely. Many Dülmen people found a new home in Merfeld.
On January 1, 1975, Merfeld was attached to Dülmen as part of the municipal reorganization .
coat of arms
Blazon : “In gold (yellow) over a green hill of St. Anthony with a blue-black robe, a black tau cross with a black bell in his right hand, a silver (white) book in his left hand and a right-hand golden (yellow) pig at his feet. ”The coat of arms shows the patron saint of the community, the St. Anthony with the pig, patron saint against epidemics in humans and animals.
Culture and sights
- St. Anthony Church
- Von Galen Park
- Anthony statue
- Upper mill
- Merfeld break
The main attraction of Merfeld is the herd of Dülmen wild horses on the wild horse track in the Merfelder Bruch nature reserve , an extensive area consisting of moor, heather, coniferous forests and oaks. This herd also makes Merfeld known nationwide; especially with the wild horse catch that takes place every year on the last Saturday in May. In addition, Merfeld also offers the possibility of a family vacation in one of the farms and excellently developed bike paths. The listed Merfeld House is also worth seeing .
In contrast to the surrounding communities, Merfeld had no broadband connection for many years because no provider had agreed to set up a corresponding connection. The provider Vodafone finally offered the connection via UMTS via a radio link, which was put into operation on March 19, 2008.
Since April 17, 2011 (official: April 14, 2011) Merfeld has been covered by the LTE mobile communications standard.
Dülmen wild horses in the Merfelder Bruch
- Erik Potthoff, Dietmar Rabich: Dülmen - yesterday and today . 1st edition. Laumann-Verlag, Dülmen 2013, ISBN 978-3-89960-397-2 , Merfeld, p. 208-215 .
- Website of the city of Dülmen, Dülmen in figures, population statistics (PDF; 13 kB), March 2019.
- Federal Statistical Office (ed.): Historical municipality directory for the Federal Republic of Germany. Name, border and key number changes in municipalities, counties and administrative districts from May 27, 1970 to December 31, 1982 . W. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart / Mainz 1983, ISBN 3-17-003263-1 , p. 313 .
- Coat of arms on the website of the shooting club. Retrieved April 27, 2013 .
- City of Dülmen: Wild horses in the Merfelder Bruch ( Memento of the original from April 21, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- UMTS + LTE in Merfeld
- Fast LTE Internet for Merfeld (Dülmen) ( Memento of the original from September 12, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Super broadband for Merfeld. In: Dülmener Zeitung , April 18, 2011