As metal processing is referred to the production and processing shaped workpieces made of metals according to predetermined geometric determinants (subject to certain tolerances and surface finish ) and their assembly into functional products . Metal processing is a sub-area of manufacturing technology .
Divisions and professions
Metal processing is carried out in a wide variety of branches of industry and craft, from jewelry production to tool and mold construction to vehicle construction , mechanical engineering , shipbuilding and bridge construction .
A distinction is made between metal processing methods in
- machining (drilling, turning, milling, grinding, sawing, thread cutting, engraving, etc.)
- non-cutting ( bending , casting , hammering or martelling , embossing, punching , forging , driving , punching , rolling , drawing , etching, etc.)
- connecting ( welding , soldering , gluing , plating, etc.)
or according to the type of metal (e.g. heavy metal , light metal , non-ferrous metal and precious metal ). The main groups of manufacturing processes according to DIN 8580 can all be applied to metal processing.
Many professions have developed around metal processing, e.g. B.
- Blacksmith or blacksmith (now metal worker, specializing in metal design) / locksmith
- Locksmith or building fitter (today metal worker, specializing in construction technology)
- Lathe operator ( cutting machine operator )
Apprenticeship in Austria
The three-year apprenticeship in the metal technology module has been possible since June 1, 2011. The modular apprenticeship replaces the following 16 previous apprenticeships: mechanical engineering, machine manufacturing technology, machine mechanics, metal technology - sheet metal technology, metal technology - vehicle construction technology, metal technology - metal construction technology, metal technology - metal processing technology, metal technology - forging technology, metal technology - steel construction technology, precision tool grinding technology, tool construction technology, tool mechanics, cutting and universal technology, knife welding fitter .
- Metal expertise. 55th, revised edition. Verlag Europa-Lehrmittel, Haan-Gruiten 2007, ISBN 978-3-8085-1155-8 (textbook for vocational training).
- Wilhelm Friedrich (founder), Antonius Lipsmeier (ed.): Friedrich table book metal and machine technology. 167th edition. Bildungsverlag Eins, Troisdorf 2005, ISBN 3-427-51033-6 .
- Matthias Becker (ed.): Metal jobs between tradition and future (= series of publications on vocational training. Change in work and technology. ). Donat, Bremen 2004, ISBN 3-934836-80-1 .
- Paul Scheipers (Hrsg.): Handbook of metal processing (= library of technical knowledge. ). 4th, revised edition. Europa-Lehrmittel, Haan-Gruiten 2007, ISBN 978-3-8085-5094-6 .
- Bundesverband Metall - Association of German Metal Crafts
- WSM Wirtschaftsverband Stahl- und Metallverarbeitung e. V. - Association of the metalworking industry
- Professional and industry information from the Austrian Chamber of Commerce
- Job description BIC
- Videos on metalworking published by the Institute for Scientific Film . Provided in the AV portal of the technical information library .