Michael Braungart (born February 7, 1958 in Schwäbisch Gmünd ) is a German process engineer and chemist . Together with William McDonough, he developed the cradle-to-cradle concept. Braungart is Professor at the Erasmus University Rotterdam and Professor for Eco-Design at the Leuphana University Lüneburg , Managing Director of the Environmental Protection Encouragement Agency Internationale Umweltforschung GmbH in Hamburg (EPEA) and Scientific Director of the Hamburg Environmental Institute .
Life and work
After studying chemistry and process engineering in Konstanz and at TU Darmstadt , Braungart received his doctorate in 1985 from the chemistry department of the University of Hanover . At the same time, he had been involved in setting up the chemistry division of Greenpeace Germany since 1982 , which he headed from 1985 to 1987.
In 1987 Braungart founded the EPEA Institute. Together with the American architect and designer William McDonough, he is also the founder of the design and development company McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) in Charlottesville ( Virginia ). From 1994 to 2008 he taught material flow management at the University of Lüneburg and since autumn 2008 he has been professor for the Cradle-to-Cradle course at the Erasmus University Rotterdam. He has also accepted a visiting professorship at the University of Virginia . In addition, Braungart is Professor of Ecodesign at the Leuphana University of Lüneburg .
Since 1994 Braungart has been giving lectures and publications on the subjects of realizing future-proof "intelligent products", the development and implementation of environmental protection concepts , environmentally compatible production processes and life cycle assessments of complex consumer goods.
With McDonough he is also the author of several books in which a sustainable rethinking of the production and recycling of products according to the principle of eco-effectiveness is required.
In 2003 he received the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award from the US Environmental Protection Agency .
In February 2020 he was a founding advisory board member of the Hans Albert Institute.
- with William McDonough: Simply produce intelligently . Berliner Taschenbuch Verlag, Berlin 2003, ISBN 978-3-8333-0183-4
- with William McDonough (Ed.): The Next Industrial Revolution: The Cradle-to-Cradle Community . European Publishing House, Hamburg 2008, ISBN 978-3-434-50616-4
- Michael Braungart's website
- Literature by and about Michael Braungart in the catalog of the German National Library
- Ernst Schmitter: Revolutionary with an Achilles heel. Michael Braungart's theses inspire many - but if you look closely, doubts arise. In: Der Rabe Ralf April / May 2010
- Martin Wittmann: " Can we save our earth, Mr. Braungart? An interview with Michael Braungart. In: FAZ, January 10, 2009
- Christian Schuster: Become as smart as the ants. About the vision of a world in which no garbage is created in the first place . In: 3sat, September 6, 2008
- Petra Hannen: Waste is food . Interview with Michael Braungart. In: brand eins 9/2008, p. 36
- Wolf Lotter : Sooner or later: What everyone needs is thinking on sight . In: brand eins 3/2005, pp. 62–71 (section 7)
- Holger Fuß: The cleverness of the cherry tree: Michael Braungart is an eco-visionary. His ideas turn everything that we understand by environmental protection on its head. In: Berliner Zeitung, June 26, 2004
- Martin Läubli: The intelligent spendthrift. ( Memento from September 28, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) In: Tages-Anzeiger, May 5, 2004
- zeit.de , May 16, 2013, Interview: "The world is unbearable as it is"
- Third Cradle-to-Cradle Congress in Lüneburg , LZ online ( Landeszeitung für die Lüneburger Heide ), September 23, 2016, accessed on January 1, 2019.
- Leuphana personalentry. Retrieved May 6, 2020 .
- US EPA: Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Winners
- Communication from the gbs
- Prof. Dr. Michael Braungart - Hans Albert Institute. Retrieved on April 3, 2020 (German).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||7th February 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schwäbisch Gmünd|