Nadine Schemmann (born November 9, 1977 in Solingen ) is a contemporary German designer and illustrator who works under her stage name Lulu * . Her fashion illustrations can be seen regularly in international magazines.
Nadine Schemmann grew up in Solingen, was already enthusiastic about the shapes and colors in her mother's flower shop as a child and attended the August Dicke school . She finished her studies at the Cologne International School of Design as the best of her year and attended courses in fashion design at the Berlin University of the Arts . She gained her first professional experience in the futurefarmers office in San Francisco , USA and in the buero destruc in Bern , Switzerland. In 2003 she moved to Berlin and has since worked there as a freelance designer and with fashion illustrations. Her clients included Bloomingdale’s and Mercedes-Benz, and her illustrations appear in international magazines. Lulu * took part in numerous exhibitions, including in 2004 at "The Liverpool School of Art + Design" and in the London Transport Museum and in 2005 in the "Wallstreet One Gallery" in Berlin. In 2005 she held seminars for the Goethe Institute in Osaka , Tokyo and later also in Basel . According to Welt am Sonntag , Berlin edition, the artist's artist name in the summer of 2006 was “Lulu Plastikpirat”.
In 2005 she received the American Illustration 24 award. The US magazine "Print" selected her in 2005 as one of the 20 best young designers in the world. She is on the list compiled in 2006 “ 100 heads of tomorrow ”, in which selected young people under 40 years of age were presented who were predicted a promising future because of their “creativity and motivation”. In 2006 NEON magazine included her in the list of “The 100 Most Important Young Germans”. In 2009 and 2010 she was appointed to the 12-person jury of the Axel Springer Academy to award the “Scoop” funding amount, which is endowed with a maximum of € 500,000.
For her pictures, Nadine Schemmann prefers a way of working in which the motifs drawn with the pen are then processed further on the computer. Her works appear light and graceful, with their harmonious elements they have their own characteristic shape and color style. They can be found on the covers of magazines and CD covers and, for example, on Ritzenhoff's glass collections . Her fashion illustrations appear in The New York Times , InStyle , Glamor and in teen vogue , among others , and she designs the monthly cover picture of the South Korean edition of Elle . Schemmann was quoted in the FAZ in 2007 as trying to “visualize what is between the lines. Most of all, I like projects where I have a lot of freedom. ” About Die Welt, she shared in 2007,“ I'm not an artist. My work is a service ”.
- With Uta Brandes , Michael Erlhoff : Design theory and design research. UTB / Fink, Paderborn 2009, ISBN 978-3-8252-3152-1 (UTB 3152) and ISBN 978-3-7705-4664-0 (Fink)
- Andreas Schneitter: My lair of ideas is my library . In: Die Welt (online) from August 26, 2007
- Claudia Herling: Focus Interview: Nadine Schemmann - Lulu * , Index Illustration [inspiration for own illustrations; Practical tips and interviews]. mitp, Heidelberg 2009, ISBN 978-3-8266-5958-4 , pp. 170-175
- Design theory and design research. UTB / Fink, Paderborn 2009, Vita Nadine Schemmann
- Schemmann Nadine Graphik & Illustration , Germany Short company profiles - bedirect company profiles, accessed on April 29, 2019
- Sandra Kaiser: Between Bloomingdale's and Baby Powder , Rheinische Post from January 26, 2007, accessed on April 29, 2019
- Dirk Westphal: 100 Heads of Tomorrow Nadine Schemmann , Welt am Sonntag of June 4, 2006, No. 23, p. B4, department: Berlin, accessed on April 29, 2019
- SCOOP! 2: Axel Springer Academy is again looking for the most creative media project , press release Axel Springer Verlag from September 30, 2009
- Scoop! Competition. "Many ideas how we can improve the world" , .morgenpost.de of February 26, 2010, accessed on April 29, 2019
- Stephanie Zein: The wild color in Vogue. , Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of November 28, 2007
- Andreas Schneitter: My lair of ideas is my library , welt.de of August 26, 2007, accessed on April 29, 2019
- Review on designrhetorik.de
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lulu * (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German illustrator and designer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 9, 1977|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Solingen|