Nicolaus Copernicus University of Toruń
|Nicolaus Copernicus University of Toruń|
|place||Toruń , Poland|
The UMK was created in 1945 by a decree of the Council of Ministers. The main initiator of the establishment of a university in Pomerania was Henryk Świątkowski , who later became the voivode of Pomerania. The aim of the re-establishment was to compensate for the losses of the universities in Wilna and Lemberg . The first rector was the historian Ludwik Kolankowski. Initially, two faculties were created: the Faculty of Fine Arts and the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. One of the plans was to expand it into a university with many faculties. The Faculty of Economics and Law was founded on November 5, 1945, and the Faculty of Music on January 24, 1946. Teaching began in 1945 and the academic year began in 1946.
In 2017, Times Higher Education ranked the university within the 801-1000 band worldwide.
- In 1951 the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was divided into the Faculty of Biology and Earth Sciences and the Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- In 1953 the Faculty of Law and 12 subjects of the Faculty of Fine Arts were dissolved
- In 1957, other subjects of the Faculty of Fine Arts were dissolved
- 1958 re-establishment of a law faculty
- 1959 Award of an honorary doctorate by the UMK
- 1973 500th year of birth of Nicolaus Copernicus , opening of the "little academic town"
- 1973 Assembly of the International Astronomical Society
- 1978 Founding of the economics faculty
- 1993 Establishment of the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy, the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, the Faculty of Chemistry and the Faculty of Historical Sciences
- 1999 Foundation of the philological faculty
- 1999 Pope John Paul II visits the auditorium
- 2004 Incorporation of the Bydgoszcz Medical University into the UMK
There are currently 14 faculties at UMK:
- Faculty of Biology and Geosciences (1951)
- Faculty of Chemistry (1993)
- Faculty of Philology (1999)
- Faculty of Humanities (1945)
- Faculty of Physics and Astronomy (1993)
- Faculty of Fine Arts (1945)
- Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science (1993)
- Economics and Business Administration Faculty (1978)
- Faculty of Historical Sciences (1993)
- Faculty of Law (1945)
- Faculty of Theology (2001)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (2002)
- “Collegium Medicum” Faculty of Medicine (1975) Bydgoszcz
- Pharmaceutical Faculty (1987)
with 33 courses (the latest is the course European Studies from 2004). It has over 30,000 students in various courses. There are 4,315 employees, including 2,211 research assistants, of which 242 hold the title of professor.
- Official website of the University of Toruń
- Official website - “Collegium Medicum” Nicolaus Copernicus University of Bydgoszcz
- Official forum - UMK Community
- Główny Urząd Statystyczny, Studenci szkół wyższych według województw i szkół (łącznie z cudzoziemcami). Stan w dniu 30 XI 2007 r. in Szkoły wyższe i ich finanse w 2007 r. ( Memento from November 18, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- UMK w liczbach . Uniwersytet Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- World University Rankings 2017-2018