The official title was the International Oldtimer Festival for the “Jan Wellem Cup” on the Nürburgring , and the event was also known colloquially as “Jan Wellem” .
The Oldtimer Festival was a three-day racing event for historic automobiles, motorcycles and sidecar teams.
The event was shaped by the classic car classes of the post-war years to the young timers . Vehicles were presented in racing that many spectators associate with their youth. The paddock was open to all spectators and enabled direct contact with the race participants. In order to represent the typical scene in each case, the paddock was arranged thematically according to the racing series and clubs.
According to the DMSB circuit regulations, “real races” were predominantly driven in the automobile classes. The historic motorcycles and sidecars, on the other hand, started consistently in regularity runs according to the DMSB regulations for regularity runs . Regularity runs are not designed to achieve top speeds and protect the historic vehicle material.
- Last mixed racing event
Mixed events with automobile and motorcycle races were still common up until the 1970s. As a result of the safety discussions and the associated tightening of the route safety requirements, it became more and more difficult and expensive for the organizers to organize mixed events. The Oldtimer Festival was the last major German racing event of its kind with the approval of the DMSB umbrella organization .
Until 1982, the DAMC 05 organized the “circuit race for the Jan Wellem Cup” on the Nürburgring . "Modern" and historic vehicles started at this circuit event.
In 1983 the first “pure” classic car festival took place on the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring while the Grand Prix track was being rebuilt . Not only historic automobiles started, but also motorcycles and sidecar combinations.
In 1984 the Oldtimer Festival was one of the opening events of the new Grand Prix circuit at the Nürburgring. The event was extended to three days.
In 2008 the Oldtimer Festival took place for the last time in summer.
In 2009 the event was canceled due to scheduling conflicts in the classic car calendar.
In 2010 the 27th Oldtimer Festival took place on the Nürburgring from September 10th to 12th, 2010. As part of the Oldtimer Festival 2010, the tradition and the name of the ADAC 1000 km race were continued. Compared to previous years, however, 2010 was an event with older vehicles and was therefore given the addition of "classic".
The starters were well-known drivers such as Daniel Schrey , Frank Schmickler , Patrick Simon , Olaf Manthey , Roland Asch , Claudia Hürtgen and Peter Oberndorfer . Daniel Schrey and Wolfgang Pohl won in a Porsche Carrera RS .
- 2011 merger with Eifelrennen
The ADAC Eifel race has been organized by the organizer of the Oldtimer Festival , the Düsseldorf ADAC local club DAMC 05, since 2011 . As at the Oldtimer Festival , automobiles and motorcycles are starting again for the first time in the Eifel race.
Jan Wellem Cup
The Jan-Wellem Cup is after in Dusseldorf popularly "Jan Wellem" stated Johann Wilhelm von Pfalz-Neuburg , named (1658-1716), Elector Palatine.
In the case of automobiles, this award is given to the winner with the greatest gap to the runner-up.
Since the historic motorcycles and sidecars start according to the DMSB regulations for uniformity runs, the "most even" of all classes receives the Jan Wellem Cup .
- Homepage of the Oldtimer Festival
- Homepage of the Düsseldorf Automobile and Motorsport Club 05 eV (ADAC)
- Event calendar of Nürburgring GmbH
- Formula Easter - Formula 1 in the East
- DMSB-Automobil-Rundstreckenreglement 2013 (PDF; 1.6 MB), accessed from the German Motor Sport Association on January 22, 2010.
- DMSB competition regulations for regularity runs with historical motorcycles 2009 ( Memento from January 8, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF; 121 kB). Retrieved from the DMSB on January 22, 2010.
- Program booklet "Rundstreckenrennen für den Jan-Wellem-Pokal" from 1982 , accessed on March 16, 2010.
- Poster from 1995 , accessed March 15, 2010.
- DMSB event calendar 2008 , accessed March 15, 2010.
- Press release www.auto-rennsport-page.de, January 27, 2009 , accessed March 15, 2010.
- Nürburgring GmbH event calendar ( Memento from July 22, 2009 in the Internet Archive ), accessed March 15, 2010.
- Homepage of the organizer , accessed April 9, 2010.
- Official result of the ADAC 1000km race classic ( Memento of the original from September 26, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , PDF file, accessed September 14, 2010.
- sport on the Nordschleife , Motor-Klassik article from September 15, 2010, accessed on November 6, 2010.
- ADAC Eifelrennen for the Jan Wellem Cup ( Memento from February 12, 2014 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on April 4, 2011.