Otto Wilhelm (Burgundy)
Otto Wilhelm ( French : Otte-Guillaume ) (* probably 958; † September 21, 1026 ) was the eldest son of Margrave Adalbert II of Ivrea († April 30, 971), who was co-regent of his father Berengar II from 960–961 . King of Italy was, and the Gerberga von Mâcon († December 11, 986/991), the daughter of Count Otto (Othon) and heiress of Mâcon.
After his mother had married Heinrich the Great , Count of Nevers and since 956 Duke of Burgundy , in a second marriage around 972 , Otto Wilhelm was adopted by his stepfather. Around 982 he received the counties of Mâcon and Nevers , 995 the county of Burgundy ( Franche-Comté ), and after Henry's death (October 15, 1002) was pretender to the title of Duke of Burgundy. When Heinrich died, he had only a four-year-old daughter in addition to his adopted son.
Robert II , King of France , nephew of Henry, however, moved the duchy back in, although it had not previously belonged to the crown domain, and made it subordinate to himself. In addition to Mâcon and Nevers, Otto Wilhelm remained above all the Free County of Burgundy, which was part of the Roman Empire. belonged to the German Empire .
Otto Wilhelm married twice: on the one hand around 982 Ermentrude von Roucy († March 5, 1002/1005), the widow of Count Aubry II of Mâcon ( House Mâcon ) and daughter of Count Rainald von Roucy from the House of Roucy and the Alverade of Hainaut ; on the other hand, before 1016 Adélaide, whose origin could not be determined with certainty. Some historians , such as Constance Brittain Bouchard, believe that Adelheid von Anjou (also called Blanche), daughter of Count Fulko II , was Otto Wilhelm's second wife.
He only had children from his first marriage:
- Guido I. , * probably 975 † probably 1004, 997 Count of Mâcon ; ∞ around 991 Aelis von Mâcon, daughter of Count Liétald II.
- Mathilde, * probably 975, † 1005, ∞ around 995 Landry von Monceau Count of Nevers , † 1028
- Gerberga, * probably 985, † 1020/1023; ∞ around 1002 Wilhelm II of Provence , † 1018, before May 30th.
- Rainald I. (Renaud I.) , * probably 990, † 3./4. September 1057, 1026 Count of Burgundy ; ∞ before September 1, 1016 Adeleide (Judith) of Normandy , † July 7 after 1037, daughter of Count Richard II.
- Agnes , * probably 995, † November 10, 1068 spiritual; ∞ I 1019 Wilhelm III. Count of Poitou , as William V Duke of Aquitaine , † January 31, 1030; ∞ II January 1, 1032, divorced 1049/1052, Gottfried II. (Geoffroy II.) Martel , Count of Anjou , † November 14, 1060
- ? Benno, archdeacon in Langres
- Jean Richard: Otto-Wilhelm . In: Lexicon of the Middle Ages (LexMA). Volume 6, Artemis & Winkler, Munich / Zurich 1993, ISBN 3-7608-8906-9 , Sp. 1590.
- ^ Constance Brittain Bouchard: Those of My Blood. Constructing Noble Families in Medieval Francia . University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia 2001, ISBN 0812235908 , p. 23.
Count of Burgundy
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Otte Guillaume|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Ruler of Burgundy|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 958|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 21, 1026|